PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well it was a hard decision, but I have decided to set the pipes aside for 3 days. Now this goes pretty hard with me as I still puff away even with tounge bite and burn. The last week or so, the middle of the tounge is thickened and a bit sore and the roof of my mouth has actual bumps on it. Not just a roughness that one gets from dry mouth, but actual bumps. So I have to set pipes aside to see if symptoms subside. If they don't, then I think I had better see a Doc. or Dentist. The last sore spot I had that wouldn't go away was a tiny flake like piece on my lower temple, which turned out to be cancerous and had to be removed twice, resulting in a cool scar and 7 stitches.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
You seem to have a lot of unfortunate situations that are mostly mouth related.
Just how much DO you smoke?

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Hoping a little rest clears it up for you? Could be an infection of some type too.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@Spartan
You seem to have a lot of unfortunate situations that are mostly mouth related.

Just how much DO you smoke?
Usually 6-10 bowls a day. Large and small mix. I have always been sensitive and I also chew the inside of my mouth constantly. VA's give me grief so I only layer them instead of the whole bowl. I also have a habit of relighting the pipe when it is down to ashes, thereby getting the hot air draw. And I smoke mostly heavy Nic baccy and I smoke a bit harder and faster than I should. (that should just about cover it) I also drink juices which contain citric acid. Also water with "Real Lemon" concentrate added. I think just about all these things add up to a sore mouth.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Damn sorry to hear that bud as I'm kind of in same boat as we already discussed in another thread. I cal tell you that after 3 or 4 doses of Biotene things cooled down quite a bit. Like you I struggle with VA tobacco too.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I experienced that situation myself. I usually have 6 bowls a day at the most. All six bowls are different. The tongue burners I limit to one bowl per sitting.

I found when I brush my teeth, I also brush my tongue and then use mouthwash followed by water. The next day the tongue burn is gone.
Brushing the tongue really helps. I sometimes brush 3 or 4 times a day. The next bowl in a fresh pipe tastes wonderful.

pufferissimo

Might Stick Around
Jan 20, 2012
Ouch ouch ouch!
Let me share you my personal blend for overcoming tounge and mouth burns; Cold Milk with Honey, followed by tooth and tongue brush with drinking lots of of cold water.
I cant offer you any medical analysis, but it seems that honey help you to ease up the inflammation, while milk particle gets into the irritated taste buds,acted like a soothing agents. Dont drink em right away, have a mouthful of them cold milk and honey and let them in your mouth as long as you can.
After you are done, proceeds with the tooth and tongue brush, I also use mouthwash to freshen up. Rest your taste buds as long as you can. My personal indicator would be the condition of the roof of my mouth as well as my tongue. The smoother they feels, the better condition they are.
But of course, its better to see medical attention for your condition.
Have a speedy recovery buddy !

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Yuckie! HaHaaa It seams this is a sore subject, one I wouldn't even speak to my wife about. (The biggest reason is that she would find something to fuss at me about). But all that aside... I have had times when I put my pipe aside for a couple days, and I've been puffing for 40 years, well almost. nsfisher, you should know if it's related to a windy day, puffing to hard or just trying to many bad tobaccos at once to close together. I'm not used to holding back, I say things that get me in trouble sometimes, but I say it!... If it's not all that... go see a Doctor. That's my best advice! Don't screw around.. Just Do It!
TopD

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya, according to the replies, it does seem to be a case of dried out mouth and irritation of tounge and roof of the mouth. It is always dimished quite a bit in the morning for a fact. Usually by about the 3rd or 4th pipe of the day it is back in full force. I bought a pack of cigs to get me tru a day or two, but man it is just no substitute at all. I can't believe I smoked cigs for 30 yrs. It did start to worsen when I started using the Dark Birdseye. Hopefully just a coinsidence.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
That stinks I am sorry!

No worries though! I haven't smoked since Tuesday and that is a 4 day break. Just have not made time with school all day and homework. I feel bad for not doing it until today

:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.