PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Someone here has a 1 lb bag of Gawith Best Brown that would be perfect for smoking in this pipe.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Please toss it, if you need another pipe I'm sure there are plenty willing to send one. That is mold, or mould, and it can penetrate the wood deep. Judging by the fruiting bodies covering that thing it likely has. You've got a microscope, shave a piece off with a knife or razor and take a look. Do not sand that stuff, breathing sawdust is bad enough there's no reason to add any additional respiratory risks. Can't enjoy a pipe with breathing complications.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jay, I'm willing to bet that that mold is just on the surface, maybe growing in a layer of wax. Clean it with hot water, a good, scent-free detergent and a dense brush. Lather, rinse and repeat, as they say.
I'm sorry to hear that you need to give up the car.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I wouldn't panic over the mold. Mold is everywhere, we breath and eat some of it daily. I would at least try some of the organic suggestions made by a few. If you're able to get it clean, I'd consider putting it in boiling water or baking it for a short while to make sure you've killed the mold. After all, you don't have anything to lose. I certainly wouldn't use any toxic cleaner as that is more likely to harm you than the mold itself.
With that said, unless you have a particularly strong affinity for the pipe, throw it away. Doesn't appear to be a high grade pipe so ask yourself if $40 or $50 is worth any risk to your health.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
It doesn't take a lot of heat to kill mold, like 140f for 20 minutes or so. It does take prolonged boiling to destroy mold toxins. So, above 220f for a good while.
Is the mold on the inside? With moldy tobacco I've often wondered if mycelium has the toxins. So, if you throw out the moldy part is the mycelium in the rest.
I would feel safer with wood ( :) ) as to mycelium and wouldn't worry myself unless it was in the actual bowl. Any gasses generated elsewhere on the bowl would be minimally consumed and not all mold has toxins.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It doesn't take a lot of heat to kill mold, like 140f for 20 minutes or so.
Not true. It takes both heat and pressure (autoclave) to kill mold spores. But this is mold growing on dense, intact wood. I'm betting that it can be permanently removed by cleaning it well, then not letting it stay damp in a dark place.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
One year in a glove box, that mold could have gotten into the wood. Cutting the fuzzy piece off bread does not remove the mold, just what your naked caveman eye can see. I've intentionally inoculated various hardwoods with fungus as an experiment before, does not take long to colonize. That pipe had high fibre saturation and some fungi have been eating the carbohydrates and or lignin. Wouldn't be surprised if the wood is spongy.
Your decision.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Good gosh.... Wash the frigin thing with hot water and maybe a bit of Peroxide and it'll be good to go.
Do you realize how many of the estate pipes are covered in the green funk before they are actually sold?

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I have seen lesser incantations of that on some of my pipes, I just wipe it off with a rag. We live in a world full of mold spores, 99.999% of them are harmless. I wouldn't dream of tossing it unless a good cleaning doesn't work. Let us know how it turns out!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
While I don't have direct experience with mold, I have more than I would have preferred with mildew. This UV lamp placed with the stummel in a cooking pot with the lid ajar to release heat, was the best of many, many, many methods I have tried.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well folks all now appears well and I am smoking it as I type......the Marlin Flake tastes just as it should. Here is what I did....
....first off I boiled the kettle and poured the water into an old coffee mug and dropped the stummel into it. I then put said mug into the microwave for three 15 second bursts whilst watching the whole boil and bubble through the window.
I then took it out and scrubbed it under a scalding tap with an old toothbrush and much Murphy's Oil Soap, using stiff brushes for the shank. I then cleaned the stem in pretty much the same way though here using bristled cleaners.
As Bassbug rightly pointed out, the mould was only on the rustication, the smooth panel having some coat of varnish or some such finish.
Once dried it looked fine though with a matte finish which I rather think is how it was originally though I can't be 100% certain.
I feel quite happy smoking it after what I did because as others have pointed out mould spores are everywhere and we ingest them all the time. I'm a great lover of blue cheeses and they are full of mould though granted it is mainly penicillin.
Finally a huge thank you to those who kindly offered to send me a replacement pipe, your generous gestures have been noted.
Regards,
Jay.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Glad it turned out well! And you now have a great story to boot. Cheers

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
He's no longer allowed to drive based on the number of beer racks being delivered to his home. It was a community decision... :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.