PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Three underrated staples in my rotation are brown bogie, Peterson's perfect plug, and the Vincent house blend from Barclay Rex.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
SG Commonwealth mixture doesn't get much mention these days.
Just opened some from around 2006 and it's aged very well. Tasty stuff.

whitebar

Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I'd add Rattray's Stirling Flake, Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Dark Birds Eye and GL Pease Caravan to this list.

samw74

Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
In my opinion, the following are underrated and/or not well known but deserving of praise:
C&D Opening Night, Yorktown and Pegasus

GLP Stratford,Piccadilly, Laurel Heights

H&H Louisiana Red

D&R Raccoon's Delight, Windsail, Two Timer, Two Timer Gold

Peretti no. 333, no. 8 Slices, Tashkent

Barclay Rex Maiden Lane (English blend w/Burley)

RO Series : Perique Blend GP-11, Acadian VaPer, Firestorm

Low Country - Cooper
I know I'm forgetting a few.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’m always surprised that McClelland Navy Cavendish gets a relatively small amount of discussion. I suspect because it’s fairly mild, but in a small to medium sized pipe I get a great malty, bready cake-spice taste with bit of added sweetness from the rum.
On the fuller bodied side, Low Country Waccamaw is superb fresh, and I’m really looking forward to smoking some with some age on it.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Probably because it's unknown, but I don't understand why whole leaf tobacco hasn't really caught on. A blend of WLT red Virginia, Izmir, and if you like, Latakia, is awesome, imo.

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
Don't hear much talk about these two -
- Astleys #2 Virginia and Perique

- Samual Gawith - Sam's flake
Both have a sweet topping and are delicious.

There's a certain rich sweet aged tobacco flavour that they have.

I also find this rich sweet aged tobacco flavour in Macbarens old dark fired ready rubbed.
Astleys #2 is sweet and spicy and delicious.

You need to jar it for a few weeks or a month to breath after opening the tin though.

The longer it ages in the jar the better it gets. This blend doesn't taste right fresh from the tin.
Sam's flake has a tonquin topping with Virginias and Turkish. The spicy Turkish makes it taste like a vaper at the beginning of the bowl, but then you soon realise its not perique. I like adding a pinch of perique to this one and wish they made a version with perique.
Both of these blends along with Macbarens old dark fired remind me of the 1980s England made tin of Three nuns, I smoked last year.
I think its the sweet topping, as that version of three nuns had a distinct sweet (rummy fruit cake/anise?) topping and aroma. The three nuns also had the rich sweet aged tobacco flavour that these blends have.
By the way that tin of three nuns was the best I've ever smoked, so rich and sweet and spicy with tons of rich aged tobacco flavour.
I wish I could help someone create a version of three nuns with that topping, by providing a sample. I noticed the Danish made versions both old and new don't have that sweet rummy anise topping. I have tried with the old recipe that was going around, but failed miserably lol.
-Tim

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
One I have recently discovered and hardly ever hear anyone mention is Samual Gawith's Golden Glow and it's bulk variant Medium Virginia Flake. The same tobacco packaged differently from what I understand. I'm loving it at the moment and can see this easily becoming one of those 'always on hand' blends, especially during the summer months. It's not complicated but deliciously sweet and simple.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jazz,

One I have recently discovered and hardly ever hear anyone mention is Samual Gawith's Golden Glow and it's bulk variant Medium Virginia Flake. The same tobacco packaged differently from what I understand. I'm loving it at the moment and can see this easily becoming one of those 'always on hand' blends, especially during the summer months. It's not complicated but deliciously sweet and simple.
I just received 8 tins of 2011 Golden Glow from my good buddy pipestud. I totally agree with your statement. Mild and sweet and uncomplicated. Very nice stuff.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I just received 8 tins of 2011 Golden Glow from my good buddy pipestud. I totally agree with your statement. Mild and sweet and uncomplicated. Very nice stuff.
Sounds wonderful. I wonder what age does to it because it seems so very good fresh. If I have one grumble about it then it would be that it's seemingly low on the nicotine front. I always seem to want to smoke either another bowl of it or something else right after. Not that that's any real hardship.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
I have a pound of SG MVF (Golden Glow) from 2000 resting nicely in a half gallon Mason jar.
I do indeed dip into it from time to time and must say it ages very well for a lighter Virginia. Wouldn't take any amount for the remainder of that jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.