PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps27

Lurker
Oct 6, 2010
I was going to go with the first one who popped into my head, and that was Popeye, rather than thinking it out logically. I was first struck with him then more.
Cartoon: Popeye

Fictional: S Holmes

Real: Norman Rockwell

Entertainer: Bing Crosby

Musician: Phil Keaggy--well, not so well recognized so I'll go with Duck Dunn

Author: Tolkien

Politician: Pres Ford

Inventor: Alex G Bell

Genius: Einstein

Film director: John Ford

Radio Actor: Ordon Wells

Should have never been a beloved counter-culure hero because he was just an evil murderous terrorist: Che Guevara

And so on ...

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
In the realm of fiction let's not forget the Hobbits and Gandalf along with Aragorn in lord of the Rings. and in cartoons there's the father of Dennis the Menace, Henry Mitchell and next door neighbor "good ole Mr. Wilson". In real life, I have a biography of Gen. Patton with a couple of photos of him smoking a pipe.

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
I saw Popeye mentioned in an earlier post or I would have mentioned him as well, wish I could do half the stuff he does with his cob. :)

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
Who keeps spreading the rumor that Shirlock Holms is fictional (LOL)

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
htmn246: I think the one who started the rumour was the author of the book in which Holmes is a fictional character. Could be wrong though. ;)

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
So strange that everyone mentions the ficticios character of Sherlock Holmes and NOT his creator Sir Arthur Ingnatius Conan Doyle

doyle.jpg

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Here is a fairly comprehensive list (in no particular order), thanks to Joseph Cruse Johnson, from his fantastic website “Famous Pipe Smokers”:
http://josephcrusejohnson.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.html.
Albert Einstein, Mark Twain, William Faulkner, John Steinbeck, Norman Rockwell, Orson Wells, JRR Tolkein, Douglas MacArthur, Admiral Arleigh Burke, Stanley Baldwin, Neville Chamberlain, Bing Crosby, President Gerald Ford, Carl Sandburg, Harold Macmillan, Konrad Lorenz, Errol Flynn, Edgar Rice Burroughs, John D. MacDonald, Warner Baxter, Thomas Selfridge, Charles Nelson Reilly, Ossip Zadkine, , Max Frisch, , Paul Casals, Jack Lynch, Patrick Moore, Anthony Hulme, Ronald Colman, Alexander Kent, Jacques Brel, Lino Ventura, Alfred Wainwright, Rudolph Bultmann, Philippe Sollers, Jean Gabin, Leo Malet, G.E. Moore, Gilbert Ryle, Edmund Husserl, J.L. Austin, Lalo Schifrin, James Whitmore, Anthony Quayle, Ralph Richardson, Bernard Grebanier, Jean-Paul Sartre, Stanley Holloway, , Carl Jung, Paul Kruger, Curd Jurgens, Gerard Walschap, Trevor Howard, Tony Benn, Rod Hull, Trevor Baylis, Joss Ackland, Frank Muir, Manny Shinwell, Jack Hargreaves, Warren Mitchell, Rupert Davies, Russ Abbot, Van Gordon Sauter, Walter Cronkite, Robert Fulghum, Milorad Pavić, Glenn Ford, Erwin Shrodinger, Moustapha Akkad, Evelyn Waugh, Harold Wilson, Bertrand Russell, Alf Landon, Edgar Buchanan, Dean Jagger, Edward G. Robinson, Rudyard Kipling, Aaron Spelling, P.G. Wodehouse, Allen Dulles, Otto Klemperer, Henry Fonda, Lee Van Cleef, Jack Lemmon, Peter Cushing, Barry Fitzgerald, Hume Cronyn, Graham Chapman, Nigel Bruce, Bennet Cerf, Raymond Chandler, Alexander Graham Bell, Arthur Frank, Richard E. Byrd, Gregory Peck, Albert King, Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown, Edward Abbey, Juan Trippe, Frank Sinatra, General George S. Patton, Jacques Derrida, Hurbert Hoover, Sid James, Fred Trueman, Vincent Schiavelli, Eric Morecambe, Stephen Fry, Fred Thompson, Roscoe Dickinson, Guy N. Smith, Gunter Grass, Sean O’Casey, A.A. Milne, Sir Compton Mackenzie, Laurie Lee, W. Somerset Maugham, J.B. Priestly, Andre Dubus, Gordon Parks, F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, W.W. Denslow, William Conrad, William Gillette, Edwin Hubble, Rober Oppenheimer, Niels Bohr, Robert Young, Clark Gable, Fred MacMurray, Ralph Bellamy, Cary Grant, David Ogilvy, Sir Winston Churchill, Kind George VI, Arthur Miller, Ernest Hemingway, John Ford, Shelby Foote, Herschel Burke Gilbert, Thomas Johnston Taylor, Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Sir John Mills, Owen Barfield, Alan Christopher “Al” Deere, Elliot Harold Paul, Healey Willan, Harold Tucker Webster.
Collectively, I would argue, these men actually made the 20th Century, both literally and figuratively. To a man, all avid pipe smokes, each and every one. Moreover, many lived well beyond the average lifespan of their day, many passing in their mid- to late-eighties.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
Are you sure that Dr. watson didn't invent Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to be his littery agent? LOL

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It's odd that Sir Arthur is eclipsed by his creation ,isn't it? BTW Good to see you posting again excav8tor.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
It is a pleasure to be back, thanks Arthur
Are you sure that Dr. watson didn't invent Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to be his littery agent?
I shall reply to that question in the true Sherlock Holmes way...."How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"?

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
I've just seen a picture of Humphrey Bogart smoking a large Wellington pipe.

Uh, go figure. :puffy:

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
It's interesting that so many have mentioned Sherlock Holmes, when I just started reading a biography on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. But all I can say is is that I recognize myself every time I look in a mirror. Seiously though, isn't it quite amazing just how many fictional and cartoon pipe smokers there have been until recently?

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I just watched Popeye weld the top of his taxi with the heat he produced for his corn cob pipe so Popeye gets my vote

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Hefner is my guy. I'd be happy to stay at the Mansion and have a few bowls with the ladies.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
All I can say is that I recognize myself every time I look in a mirror. Maybe Norman Rockwell. And until recently Mr. Potato Head!

Status
Not open for further replies.