PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well, now there is a sloppy and shoddy "study" trying to link second hand smoke to ADHD. A phone poll of people who were asked if they smoke and if so are any of their children diagnosed with ADD and/or ADHD. No real science involved but we know that does not matter any more.

Apparently, the smokers themsleves were not asked if they had ADHD. Doh!!!
http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-second-hand-smoke-adhd,0,2611537.story

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
Typical scientific research. They always leave out the important questions.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
This would come as a surprise to my high school class Valedictorian... his dad smoked a pipe and his mom smoked cigarettes. He had a brother who was Valedictorian too. :roll:
Maybe they should look at kids being cooped up in apartments instead. Makes more sense than exposure to second-hand smoke. :crazy:

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Kevin, I was JUST about to come back to this thread and post almost this exact same reply!!! Great minds think...wait...what?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Wow, what an awesome waste of 1's and 0's - that article tells me nothing but that an unconclusive study with questionable respondants was performed...even the authors of the research paper don't draw the conclusions the LA Times did...perhaps they are the ones with ADHD; pay attention to your interviewee's...
While I'm on that topic, would nicotine not be a suitable treatment for ADHD? I mean, these studies are all geared towards cigarette smokers, and we all know that in cigs, vitamin N acts as a stimulant...just like Ridlin and the other uppers given to kids with ADHD to help them concentrate. Perhaps we should be getting the kids away from big-pharma, and into big tobacco...

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I've heard that its more based on Diet than anything. When I was little I got diagnosed with AD/HD and my doctor wanted to just junk me up with Ritalin or Adderal or whatever the nice name for Amphetamine was around that era. My mom then changed our diet to that of all organic cutting out those nasty artificial things and whatnot. It then mysteriously went away. Just some food for thought....
Also ever since I started puffing on the pipe my grades in College have gone up. Probably no correlation there either :roll:

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
now just a cotton pickin minute here!

those scientists got their phd's out of a legitmate certified cracker jack box from an alabama 7/11

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Guess, I should be handing back my degrees now. Second hand smoke didn't hold me back (apparently it should have).

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I'm glad to see that the researchers didn't waste their time with old-fashioned scientific methodology, preferring the much superior method of the phone survey. So much easier to prove your pre-determined conclusion that way.
Someone goofed though, they shouldn't have included this: "Still, the symptoms didn’t add up to a single diagnosis that could be linked to secondhand smoke."

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
To think I am a smoker and eldest daughter just got the presidential academics excellence award this year. Hmmm, I think they got it backwards, but they will not admit to that would they.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Odd... I have ADD, and in my youth, I was NEVER exposed to second hand smoke. That said, at least the authors admit there is room for mistakes and growth in the study. Nothing worse than "This is fact because I did one study, thus it is law."
Nevertheless, additional evidence is warranted in additional population settings for entirely evidence-based health policy decision making.”

oldmanwinter

Lurker
Jul 10, 2011
This just in:
Digital Flatulence cause of Warmest Summer on Record!

Mrs Murray's 2nd grade class at George Washington Elementary School was polled at recess and have confirmed by general consensus that someone flatulated. "What we know as flatulence is actually a forced release of methane gas - a known greenhouse gas, so yeah, that could be causing it.", said Wilfred P. Moronicus, chief Scientific lead of the International Delegation for Gaseous Interference Technology (IDGIT), "We checked what the kids told us with several internet polls and statistics on both farting and global temperatures and have found that internet statistics are 120% bullshit 490% of the time - bullshit is another source of methane, so what we have here is a massive blow to our global environment. We really can't be more clear than that."
Same quality research, imo.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
My dad smoke around Me all My life, second hand smoke didn't nert no vert no purt no wait I can do this it didn't hurt Me at all. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.