PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PadrePiper887

Lurker
Sep 8, 2019
As an intermediate pipe smoker, I have in my possession a number of pipes and a decent stock of tobaccos cellared. When finances allows, I make it a point to add a few ounces of tobacco in my stash or a pipe for rotation. Given the current situation (I live outside the USA) what is more practical to get, more pipes or more tobaccos? I will be grateful for your insights. Best regards to everyone.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Padre did mention he lives outside of the United States, so in all likelihood he'll be less affected by our tobacco apocalypse. That said- I would make special allowance in your cellar for any tobaccos that might go 'extinct' if bill HR 2339 becomes law.

Pipes (especially factory-made) will continue to resurface on the market. So unless there's a special one-of-a-kind artisan pipe you'd regret not purchasing, I'd lean towards tobacco.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
If restrictions on tobacco products get tighter, prices of tobacco will go up, but the existing stock of pipes will go down in price as demand falls.

There doesn’t seem to be a scenario in which we’re awash in tins of cheap legal pipe tobacco, but can’t smoke it because pipe prices are through the roof.

Unless someone drafts a law to require you to throw away a pipe after one use, I’d get more tobacco. Your current pipes will outlive you.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You write that, when you have the moneys, "I make it a point to add a few ounces of tobacco in my stash or a pipe for rotation." You don't indicate a "need" for either so, spend in a manner that "scratches the itch" I suppose. I write this feeling relunctant to advice you how to best spend you hard won moneys. Apparently you feel the "need" to spend and are limiting the outlays to either tobacco or blends. Hell, I say go for it in a totally uninhibited manner, get some of both.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
You can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a pipe of some sort, old or new, used, abused, estate, cheap, artisan, briar, cob, meer, clay, metal, glass, brylon, taxidermied armadillo carcass, whatever - but you’re not gonna need any of them if you don’t have tobacco to smoke.

Just saying.

Also, if you don’t enjoy what you can get for tobacco then you probably wouldn’t want to smoke a pipe anyway. Day comes all I can get is Crooner, I’m done. Hard pass. All my lovely pipes will be sent to Duane to have bonsai trees planted in them.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Tobacco. Even if you live outside the US—scratch that... Specially if you live outside the US, you better cellar as much as possible. In spite of their tobacco woes, the US is not a signatory to the evil WHO's Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, which is what's pushing things towards pandemic prohibition worldwide. Even now, cellaring will be an uphill climb what with the ever increasing taxes and duties levied on tobacco as a result of the war on smoking.

Cellar now.

Status
Not open for further replies.