PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Title edited; not sure what the March 2023 was for. I thought mentioning the 40's could draw more interest. Original title:
"Re-Visting, Pipe Lovers Magazine: Monthly Home Blending Winning Recipes, March 2023"

Since there are plenty of issues of the old and beloved Pipe Lovers Magazine available online to read for free; and, since each and every month the magazine held an open contest of Reader-submitted 'My Favorite Blend' recipes created by their readership of Hobbyist Home-Blenders - and the Editorial Staff would judge and compare all submissions for any given month, and then, declare a winning home-blend and Blender for that month - I thought it might be fun to go back and try these monthly 1940-1950 Winning Home Blends out today - focusing on just one each month, in order, as they are available to find online.

So, for March 2023, I am turning back the hands of time, and pulling up the Winning Home Blender Recipe from Pipe Lovers Magazine, Volume 1, Issue 1, JANUARY 1946
Pipe_Cover_JAN_1946.jpeg

Hoping some of you Brothers-of-the-Briar who also enjoy the Home Blending aspect of pipe smoking like I do, will join in, recreate and smoke-along with me, some of these blends from back in the day, and posts your Thoughts, Tweeks, Cheers, Jeers, and, What-Have-You.

Okay, Here's the one to tackle for March 2023:

The January 1946 Monthly Winning Home Blend was submitted by M.B. White, of Des Moines, Iowa:
Pipe_Lovers_Recipe_JAN_1946_V1V1.jpg

Converting From Oz. to Parts-Per:

2 Parts: Perique
1 Part : Latakia
4 Parts: White Burley
4 Parts: Virginia
4 Parts: Selbur

Notes and Assumptions:

1. "Selbur" was John Middleton's Selected Burley blend, which was included as the main base blending tobacco for their home blending kit from the 1930 - 1950.
MIddleton_SelBur.jpg

Since I have absolutely no knowledge or information on exactly what Selbur specifically was in terms of contents and rations, for now, I will have to go with a VERY speculative and generic GUESS: of 33% White Burley Ribbon, 33% AAA Burley Ribbon, 33% Dark Burley Ribbon - and 1% Error, This PLACE-HOLDER GUESS may not resemble what Middleton's Selbur was AT ALL; but hopefully, I cannot be too far off in anyone ingredient and in any one direction.

2. "Virginia". Ugh. Could this listed ingredient be any less non-specific?

Again, for my recreation experiments, I am going to have to speculate and simply revert to: 25% Bright (Sutliff TS1) Virginia, 25%Yellow (Sutliff TS1Y) Virginia and 50% Red (Sutliff TS1R) as a Generic Place-Holder Non-Specific "Virginia" Blend Guess - again, hoping I cannot be off in anyone direction by too far.

Another option might be to simply go with C&D's Yorktown - a proven VA winning blend - as a consistent 'GoTo', for when non-specified 'Virginia' is called for, and with zero specification of cut or color - as is the case in this months recipe.

If you decide that "Virginia" implicitly means "Bright Virginia Ribbons" and if the Blender wanted any Red in there, they would have specified Red; then please, let me know what you decide you are going with for your recreation.

3. As I am on a Latakia-Free bender for the last 2 years and so - this after I nearly OD'd on Latakia mixtures some time ago - I am going to have to also create a Latakia-Free-Version of this recreation.

While I could simply "Minus the Latakia" - which would be 100% legitimate; but, I want to keep the original January 1946 Winning Blender's proportions of ingredients as close as possible; therefore, I will instead calculate for total volume of each components

And, thus:

Using Sutliff Blending Tobacco Components:

1 Part: Perique (TS20 Ribbons)
3 Part: White Burley (TS6 Ribbons)
3 Part: "Virginia" Guess (33.3% TS1 Bright Ribbons, 33.3% TS1Y Yellow Ribbons, 33.3% TSR1R Red Ribbons).
3 Part: "Selbur" Guess (33.3% TS6 White Burley Ribbons, 33.3% 513 AAA Burley Ribbons, 33.3% AAA Medium Burley RIbbons)

Or,

Using C&D Blending Tobacco Components:

2 Part: Perique
6 Part: White Burley Ribbons
3 Part: Bright Virginia
3 Part: Red Virginia
6 Part: C&D's Burley Ribbon Cut Blend - Note: From what I understand from watching the C&D video on YouTube, this is a Pre-mix of White & Dark Burleys, and *some sweetener* added - I've not had this; but, no doubt is a high-grade product; however, it will not be exactly the same as the Sutliff Blending Tobacco version. So as usual: YMMV.

4. With the White Burley Ribbons being added on top of the White Burley Ribbons which are already included in either of the 2 Generic Burley Bases, this puts the total White Burley contribution of this Blend at around 60% of the total mixture by volume, which I have been informed is not at all out-of-line for some of our beloved and typical Drug Store Burley-Forward Codger Blends in pouch or can.

Currently, I am waiting on a deliver of some White Burley Ribbon before I can post any Results/Reviews/Revelations and recreate this blend at home, so it's not likely I get my hands into the mixing bowl and have something to report until after the weekend - unless I get very very lucky.

So, for those of you who just want to read and comment, I am leaving this as an Open Book of Home Blending Experiments; and, for those who wish to actually play-along and get experimenting with, AND SMOKING this months Look-Back at the Winning Home Blending Entry from January 1946 - Courtesy of M.B. White, of Des Moines, Iowa; and, Pipe Lovers Magazine, I am hoping you will do so and share your experience and comments.
PIPE_LOVERS_LOGO.jpg

Nothing for me to do now, but smoke my pipe and wait for a delivery... and, wonder why the heck are my Italics STUCK ON and won't turn off - Sherm Natman

Last edited by a moderator:

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
What a great idea! I will be following this thread and trying to join in. Maybe someone will have some info on Selby but short of that I will go with the direction you listed but use Union square for the Virginia. Thanks for posting this.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
What a great idea! I will be following this thread and trying to join in. Maybe someone will have some info on Selby but short of that I will go with the direction you listed but use Union square for the Virginia. Thanks for posting this.
I will email and TRY to get a reply from Middleton and get the low-down on Selbur, BUT, since the rumors of the sale - when PA and CH went into limbo for a time - a couple of years back, communicating with them has not been the same.

Anyway, that sounds great, can't wait to read and comparing your experience experimenting with "JAN 1946" with my own.

So that everyone knows... and to save everyone the trouble of having to look it up:

G.L. Pease's Union Square is by description is an unadulterated straight Virginia Blend - Brights and Reds - with nothing added in terms of extra sugar or toppings. Additionally, it is also pressed into cake and cut into FLAKE, so as everyone knows is a very different cut-variation compared to Ribbon - which will of course, will alter the burn-rate, temperature, and smoking experience versus that of using all Ribbon cut tobaccos - as I will be doing with my version.

I think if you like the performance properties of Flake, this sounds like it should be a great choice for a goto generic base or semi-base "Virginia" for experimenting with just by the description of what is and what IS NOT in there for these old school recipes which list wholly non-specific color/cut "Virginia" as called for.

The tobacco you selected as your default "Virginia" ingredient for this month's recreation, is an @JimInks 4-Star Rated Tobacco - Nice!

Will you also be using 4-Star components for the called for Burleys; such as, C&D?

If so, I really like that you are working more at the upper-end of the Gourmet food-chain; whereas, for reasons of costs and availability, I am purposefully keeping my experimental blending ingredients more in the 3 Star realm.

👍I am really happy to have some company on this journey. - Sherm Natman

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I am currently blending something along those lines using Sutliff ingredients. The difference is I am including some Oriental and Maryland leaf. I thought about using a white burley but chose a toasted cavendish instead. So it isn't the same, but I've already started si I hope you don't mind I post it here with yours. What a great thread idea.

it is an American English blend. Here is how it compares:

1 Part: Perique
1 Part: Latikia
2 Part: Black Cavendish
4 Parts: Virginia Slices
0.5 Part: Turkish
0.5 Part Maryland

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
I am currently blending something along those lines using Sutliff ingredients. The difference is I am including some Oriental and Maryland leaf. I thought about using a white burley but chose a toasted cavendish instead. So it isn't the same, but I've already started si I hope you don't mind I post it here with yours. What a great thread idea.
Mind? From you, my dear Brother T'Scopes? Not at all. I think it's cool we both are into Home Blending AND Telescopes. Might you be a Chess-nut too?

Sure what you are up to is not related to recreating the winning "JAN1946" Home Blend from Pipe Lovers Magazine; but who know, maybe you'll get inspired and take a poke at recreating that one too, and share your experience with it here.

I, for one, love reading your writing. - Sherm Natman

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Mind? From you, my dear Brother T'Scopes? Not at all. I think it's cool we both are into Home Blending AND Telescopes. Might you be a Chess-nut too?

Sure what you are up to is not related to recreating the winning "JAN1946" Home Blend from Pipe Lovers Magazine; but who know, maybe you'll get inspired and take a poke at recreating that one too, and share your experience with it here.

I, for one, love reading your writing. - Sherm Natman

Uh oh. We’re slowly getting into chess. I’ve got a six-year-old son who routinely beats my wife and daughter. He can’t beat me, yet; but he gives me a run for my money.

His birthday is coming up in a month and I’m thinking about getting him a nice set to play with here at the house. He LOVES it. Asks to play daily. It’s becoming more fun and relaxing for me, as well, and I assume does wonders for neuroplasticity.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I will email and TRY to get a reply from Middleton and get the low-down on Selbur, BUT, since the rumors of the sale - when PA and CH went into limbo for a time - a couple of years back, communicating with them has not been the same.

Anyway, that sounds great, can't wait to read and comparing your experience experimenting with "JAN 1946" with my own.

So that everyone knows... and to save everyone the trouble of having to look it up:

G.L. Pease's Union Square is by description is an unadulterated straight Virginia Blend - Brights and Reds - with nothing added in terms of extra sugar or toppings. Additionally, it is also pressed into cake and cut into FLAKE, so as everyone knows is a very different cut-variation compared to Ribbon - which will of course, will alter the burn-rate, temperature, and smoking experience versus that of using all Ribbon cut tobaccos - as I will be doing with my version.

I think if you like the performance properties of Flake, this sounds like it should be a great choice for a goto generic base or semi-base "Virginia" for experimenting with just by the description of what is and what IS NOT in there for these old school recipes which list wholly non-specific color/cut "Virginia" as called for.

The tobacco you selected as your default "Virginia" ingredient for this month's recreation, is an @JimInks 4-Star Rated Tobacco - Nice!

Will you also be using 4-Star components for the called for Burleys; such as, C&D?

If so, I really like that you are working more at the upper-end of the Gourmet food-chain; whereas, for reasons of costs and availability, I am purposefully keeping my experimental blending ingredients more in the 3 Star realm.

👍I am really happy to have some company on this journey. - Sherm Natman
Very cool stuff, thanks for sharing. Glad you were evidently able to solve the aforementioned italics issue, and promptly at that! 👍

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Uh oh. We’re slowly getting into chess. I’ve got a six-year-old son who routinely beats my wife and daughter. He can’t beat me, yet; but he gives me a run for my money.

His birthday is coming up in a month and I’m thinking about getting him a nice set to play with here at the house. He LOVES it. Asks to play daily. It’s becoming more fun and relaxing for me, as well, and I assume does wonders for neuroplasticity.

Sorry to derail - ADHD won that round.

Having said that, I did used to enjoy home stoving and blending and making my own stuff. I’m slowly getting back into it and this could be a fun re-entry.

I’m interested to hear more about what you learn on the Selbur.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Thanks for posting this information about Pipe Lovers magazine; it is an interesting blast from the past!

My pleasure @haebar , I absolutely love the whole vibe and content of those old Pipe Lovers mags too!

Can you believe that in 2023 - 77 years after the fact - we are discussing someone's - M.B. White, of Des Moines, Iowa; in this case - home blend which they submitted for a contest in a long out-of-print pipe magazine, from a time when a postage stamp was only 3 Cents - Amazing! - Sherm Natman

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My pleasure @haebar , I absolutely love the whole vibe and content of those old Pipe Lovers mags too!

Can you believe that in 2023 - 77 years after the fact - we are discussing someone's - M.B. White, of Des Moines, Iowa; in this case - home blend which they submitted for a contest in a long out-of-print pipe magazine, from a time when a postage stamp was only 3 Cents - Amazing! - Sherm Natman

I calculated 3 cents in January 1946 and the modern January 2023 equivalent is 49 cents. Today’s forever first class stamps just increased from 60 to 63 cents.

This morning I’m enjoying a bowl of cheap $1.29 an ounce trial size Rouesco “pipe” tobacco. A full pound is about $12.

$12 today was equivalent to 73 cents in 1946.

I wonder if the cheapest tobacco on the shelves was 75 cents, when mail order tobacco was about $3 a pound, or $49.31 in today’s dollars?

My father asked my mother to put a quarter in the juke box in 1946, and he wound up marrying the waitress, who was impressed by the gesture.

Daddy won Mama’s heart, for $4.11 in today’s money.

She said he asked her to play the new Eddie Arnold song about Walking the Line, and to play some more she liked.

$5 in a juke box today, might also impress the waitress.:)

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

it is an American English blend. Here is how it compares:

1 Part: Perique
1 Part: Latikia
2 Part: Black Cavendish

4 Parts: Virginia Slices
0.5 Part: Turkish
0.5 Part Maryland
That sounds amazing, how long are you going to let it marry before you smoke it? Are you putting some back to try later and see if it changes over time?

telescopes

Breaking the code for any blend is such a mystery. Especially when all you have to go on is vague references to what is in the blend and the accompany descriptions.

I have two blends I have been working on for several years. The tobacconist I have used for over four decades blends both my father's and my own blend for us using tobaccos that they all ready have. Of course, while we know the proportions of what they use, the exact foundational blends have been given in-house names to protect the B&M's sales of tobacco.

Over time, I figured out using the B&M's descriptions of their tobaccos and the ones used by Sutliff and Lane that my formula was really using Lane BCA and Sutliff Nougat. I know the proportions; however, I still order from J. Dengler out of respect for their past services which are outstanding.

My Dad's blend was a harder nut to crack. For that, I had to rely on poignant questions to the proprietor. Over time, by comparing various discussions, I learned that the first part of my dad's blend contained sliced Virginia, Maryland, and Turkish while the second part was some type of cherry Cavendish. While I know the proportion of Cherry that goes into the blend, the rest are a mystery. This experiment will take some trial and error and basic guess work trying to work backwards from a supply of my dad's tobacco I have on hand.

I find reproducing and then trying to enhance an old tobacco formula extremely interesting and satisfying when you figure it out.

I hope this thread spawns many great conversations. Thank you to @shermnatman. My you always have honey for your corncob pipes.

telescopes

That sounds amazing, how long are you going to let it marry before you smoke it? Are you putting some back to try later and see if it changes over time?
There will be the initial tasting; then a second after two weeks, and then another after a month. At the month mark, I will reorder the main ingredients and begin making adjustments.

I am using two benchmark models to help guide me. One is a tobacco named Black Maria, by John Dengler. The other is Crystal Palace. Both have similar taste notes and I suspect share a common linage.

The Maryland Tobacco is one question mark. The black Cavendish has a small note of vanilla, which is an intentional choice for room note.

Both the Latakia and the Perique are small players but should be strong enough to be noticed. I think the Turkish should assist in providing some depth of flavor as well.

We will see.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Somewhere somebody might keep the numbers on these matters, but I’m not alone in smoking endless 12 ounce bags of Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish.

Today’s big three “drugstore blends”simply must be Vanilla, Cherry, and Black Cavendish. Those three have the most shelf space in the most valuable spot in every small booze and smoke shop. If they carry only one it’s Vanilla, and if only two Vanilla and Cherry. Black is if they have the first two already.

Dammit, they taste good. They are sweet as cotton candy. They smell wonderful and they are cheap.

There’s nothing new under the sun.

They had black cavendish in 1946, and surely somebody submitted a vanilla and a cherry flavored blend to Pipe Lover’s.

But did the magazine publish it?

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Got real lucky with an unexpectedly fast delivery today.

Thus, I am able to fill-out the Blending Tobacco inventory with the various different straight Burleys and straight Virginias of various grades, colors and cuts, which will allow me to - hopefully - have the various called for ingredients on-hand as I work through recreating these various Pipe Lovers Magazine monthly winning blends:
Blending_Burleys_Virginas.jpg

Still waiting on a delivery for one key semi-base straight Virginia from which to create a 'Go To' non-specific "Virginia" to use consistently every time these old recipes - which happens quite frequently - fail to do.

I think for learning and fair/honest evaluation purposes, consistency of ingredients as I try each winning recipe is a must.

So, the very first task facing me today, will be trying to land on what I will be using as my version of "Pipe Lovers Mag Generic Virginia' and "Pipe Lovers Mag Generic Burley'; for use in all future PLM recreation experiments. - Sherm Natman