PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Nice find. I can tell you a bit about it. It is not 1920's, likely one of the later models with a corncob shank, my guess is 50's or 60's at the earliest. The 1920's version was much slimmer with a Bakelite or Redmanol stem. The stem on this pipe is nice and comfortable but it is going to be some other type of plastic than Bakelite.

After this style, the Bulldog was still made into the 70's and on special runs into the 80's but lost its corncob shank and really turned into a boring pipe.

This is probably one of the better pipes to smoke. It is from the crossroads when the quality of the corn was improved, and the quality of finish was still superb. You just can't match the burnished finish, at least they haven't since the good old days.

Assuming the pipe hasn't been in a musty attic for 5o years, or picked up some other unpleasant flavor, light her up.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I have a similar Corn Cob Bulldog with a redmanol stem. It's a fantastic smoke and have had offers to sell it but won't part with this one. IMO you better keep that pipe, light it up and enjoy it. They're hard to find and sure to be a favorite cob for you.

Cheers, Andy

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Great looking old pipe Doc. I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like a Missouri Meerschaum to me. The bowl shape and stem looks like Herschel and Bendhem, that was a competitor of MM for many years. They actually made a wider range of shapes than MM and was a big factor in how nice those old pipes were. With so much competition, the bar was high.

Status
Not open for further replies.