PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Been meaning to stop into this local tobacco shop west of PGH and finally did so this afternoon. Not much pipe tobacco , mostly cigars and vapes which is typical but I did notice they had some MM Country Gentleman cob. As I dug through the basket I pulled out what they had 4 and looked them over 3 of them were the some but the 4th one was not quite like the others. This cob was huge !! The inner dimension of all 4 were the same 3/4 but the outer of the 4th was 1/4 round making it 1.1/4 total wide . I think I not name it the Hulk ...I should paint it green lol... Anyway is this common with cobs were the inner D is all the same but the outer will very

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
There is some variance in MM cobs, they are a natural product after all. But what you were likely seeing was 3 drought cobs, and one Pre/ Post draught cob.
MMs corn cob crop suffered a severe drought a few years back. As a result their corn cob pipes were smaller than usual, and some of the larger cobs were not available at all. This is when the hardwood maple pipes were released to compensate for the lack of large cobs being available.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Most of my CG cobs are the smaller ones from years ago. I recently purchased the newer CG cobs and man are they bigger and they smoke better then the old ones. I love the Natural (Nekid) bowls. They smoke cooler and I get more taste of the tobacco from the Naturals. I'm in the process of replacing all my old CG cobs with the new Natural bowls.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know what you mean by the "Hulk" cob. One of my generals is huge compared ti the others!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you like larger cobs, the MM freehands are really large, and they can be ordered natural or more finished. They have a really ample bowl, an hour plus worth, and best of all they have acrylic stems. They cost a few bucks more, but are easily worth it, a tremendous bargain in a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.