PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The tree was on the Northumberland side; that's the English side.

That tree was only 300 years old; Sycamore trees were introduced to Britain in the 15th or 16th Centuries; long after the Romans had left.

As for being a hero in Scotland; all of the Scots I know would be appalled at this vandals behaviour.
The 26% of me that is of Scottish descent doesn’t give a rat’s posterior.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
By the way, at the point where the tree was, Hadrian's Wall is 25miles or so south of the Scottish border and separated by the Kielder Forest; you wouldn't be able to see into Scotland from the top of that tree.

In Roman times the actual border was even further to the North.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The tree was on the Northumberland side; that's the English side.

That tree was only 300 years old; Sycamore trees were introduced to Britain in the 15th or 16th Centuries; long after the Romans had left.

As for being a hero in Scotland; all of the Scots I know would be appalled at this vandals behaviour.

At times the like this the sad truth he’s a dumb kid is not his best defense.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
By the way, at the point where the tree was, Hadrian's Wall is 25miles or so south of the Scottish border and separated by the Kielder Forest; you wouldn't be able to see into Scotland from the top of that tree.

In Roman times the actual border was even further to the North.

And we don’t know why they moved the wall.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
This is a pipes and tobacco forum, not a mass casualty event caused by human negligence forum.
No it's not. This is a general post section within the forum, allowing people the freedom to add threads about topics close to them that may allow intelligent debate and response. If you don't care about a topic, then the best advice I have to you is to f**k off and create your own thread. The fact you haven't yet created a flood response thread leads me to believe you are just virtue signalling. Stick to commenting on whether or not goading buffalo is a good idea or not.
Believe me, I won't be engaging with any thread you create to quite the degree with which you have engaged with mine. Good day.

On the point at hand. Timelord is correct. Hadrians wall sits inside the border of England. Both North and South of the wall are Northumberland. The Antonine Wall passes North of Edinburgh and Glasgow well inside the Scottish border.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
No it's not. This is a general post section within the forum, allowing people the freedom to add threads about topics close to them that may allow intelligent debate and response. If you don't care about a topic, then the best advice I have to you is to f**k off and create your own thread. The fact you haven't yet created a flood response thread leads me to believe you are just virtue signalling. Stick to commenting on whether or not goading buffalo is a good idea or not.
Believe me, I won't be engaging with any thread you create to quite the degree with which you have engaged with mine. Good day.

On the point at hand. Timelord is correct. Hadrians wall sits inside the border of England. Both North and South of the wall are Northumberland. The Antonine Wall passes North of Edinburgh and Glasgow well inside the Scottish border.
Well, best wishes on getting that knot out of your panties soon.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
No one's moved the wall; it's never been the border between England and Scotland. It marked the end of Roman territory; well, until they built the Antonine Wall (which is entirely in Scotland)
The Antonine Wall, known to the Romans as Vallum Antonini, was a turf fortification on stone foundations, built by the Romansacross what is now the Central Belt of Scotland, between the Firth of Clyde and the Firth of Forth. Built some twenty years after Hadrian's Wall to the south, and intended to supersede it, while it was garrisoned it was the northernmost frontier barrier of the Roman Empire. It spanned approximately 63 kilometres (39 miles) and was about 3 metres (10 feet) high and 5 metres (16 feet) wide. Lidar scans have been carried out to establish the length of the wall and the Roman distance units used.[2] Security was bolstered by a deep ditch on the northern side. It is thought that there was a wooden palisade on top of the turf. The barrier was the second of two "great walls" created by the Romans in Great Britain in the second century AD. Its ruins are less evident than those of the better-known and longer Hadrian's Wall to the south, primarily because the turf and wood wall has largely weathered away, unlike its stone-built southern predecessor.

IMG_4918.jpeg

My own theory of why they tried moving the wall a little more north was two lines of defense against my ancestors.

Once those Picts breached the second wall ‘‘twas not to be a pretty picture in the Roman villages, ya know.:)

Reactions: FLDRD

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
So far I'm understanding that the wall is entirely in England. The tree was a late interloper into the area. And, Hadrian's Wall was in fact undamaged by the lad as opposed to the headlines I've seen in the media. Oh, the tree's chief claim to fame was that it appeared, in a non-speaking, role in a movie. Not mentioned in the credits either.

"Much Ado About Nothing" as a news story from what I read both here and in the media. But, apparently some movie fans are "simply" outraged at what is, at most, a nondescript, local act of juvenile delinquency.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
So far I'm understanding that the wall is entirely in England. The tree was a late interloper into the area. And, Hadrian's Wall was in fact undamaged by the lad as opposed to the headlines I've seen in the media. Oh, the tree's chief claim to fame was that it appeared, in a non-speaking, role in a movie. Not mentioned in the credits either.

"Much Ado About Nothing" as a news story from what I read both here and in the media. But, apparently some movie fans are "simply" outraged at what is, at most, a nondescript, local act of juvenile delinquency.
I’m still outraged. About something. Not sure what, now.

H

HRPufnstuf

16,000 people were killed in a flood last week that wiped an entire city off the face of the planet and y’all are hot and bothered by a tree.
So, we should rail against God/Nature for a flood...a natural event with no reasoning or cognitive impetus? Or we should tolerate and accept a purposeful act of destruction by a selfish, unprincipled individual? Tragedy is deserving of compassion. Malice is deserving of the scourge.

H

HRPufnstuf

I think our wayward lad might become a hero in Scotland, if he’ll keep his mouth shut and let a good lawyer speak for him.:)
I'm not sure I would equate "good lawyer" with "Devil's Advocate."

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
So, we should rail against God/Nature for a flood...a natural event with no reasoning or cognitive impetus? Or we should tolerate and accept a purposeful act of destruction by a selfish, unprincipled individual? Tragedy is deserving of compassion. Malice is deserving of the scourge.
You need to read up on that flood, sir. It wasn’t a natural event.

And a little compassion for 16,000 dead humans would go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.