PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Half developed idea:

In Metro Detroit there are cigar bars and lounges, like Smokeys in Royal Oak and Red Wagon in Rochester Hills. Perhaps there is a similar concept in mid-Michigan.

While they may not sell pipe tobacco, we can ask the bar/lounge if they would allow pipes if some cigars were purchased.

Don't hesitate to shoot me down.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Half developed idea:

In Metro Detroit there are cigar bars and lounges, like Smokeys in Royal Oak and Red Wagon in Rochester Hills. Perhaps there is a similar concept in mid-Michigan.

While they may not sell pipe tobacco, we can ask the bar/lounge if they would allow pipes if some cigars were purchased.

Don't hesitate to shoot me down.
Great idea! I'll start looking around the Lansing and surround areas.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Hello fellow mitten members, a meet up sounds like a good idea.

I was born in Tawas and raised in Hale during my pre-memory years. Then the fam lived in Marquette while my dad was stationed at K.I. Saywer AFB until I was in Kindergarten. After that we lived in Flint for a just couple of years until we wound up in Utica. Since leaving home I've lived in Southfield, Troy, Royal Oak, Clawson and sort of settled in in Oak Park.

Just stopped into Hill & Hill Tobacconist this morning. Nice joint, friendly owner. Didn't see any tins, but left with some Virginia Puro and Orienta to try. He has an ok selection of pipes and the only new pipes are Azura, locally made. Azura has a really nice form of rustication on several. Are any of you familiar with them, curious how they smoke? Thinking about picking one up for my birthday and the prices are right, only $150.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Azura? Are any of you familiar with them, curious how they smoke? Thinking about picking one up for my birthday and the prices are right, only $150.
I’ve seen them in H&H and on Instagram, the price is nice for a handmade. I have not smoked one tho. Man you have lived all over the state!

Reactions: Laurent

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm going to make a separate thread about it, but Paul's Pipe Shop has some issues with condemned buildings on both sides of the Shop.

Man that really sucks for Dan. When I was there I also was thinking that Paul's might be closed because of the fencing.

Apart from the building, I wonder what his plans are for the shop moving forward. I know B&Ms all have it tough and I hope he's got a plan to keep Paul's going beyond his lifetime.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Man that really sucks for Dan. When I was there I also was thinking that Paul's might be closed because of the fencing.

Apart from the building, I wonder what his plans are for the shop moving forward. I know B&Ms all have it tough and I hope he's got a plan to keep Paul's going beyond his lifetime.
From the sound of it, no. His children don’t want it and other companies offered to buy it but Dan wants it left as is, location, museum and all.

CaptJ

Lurker
Mar 23, 2023
Livonia, MI
Ugh. I was told about a year ago there was some discussion they might have to move. I didn't realize how related it was to the buildings on their sides.

Also sad to hear there is no clear plan for continuation. Hopefully someone comes along who has the passion/money to make it happen.

Reminds me I need to get up there for my annualish Crepes and Paul's visit.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Ugh. I was told about a year ago there was some discussion they might have to move. I didn't realize how related it was to the buildings on their sides.

Also sad to hear there is no clear plan for continuation. Hopefully someone comes along who has the passion/money to make it happen.

Reminds me I need to get up there for my annualish Crepes and Paul's visit.
Tell me more about these crepes...

CaptJ

Lurker
Mar 23, 2023
Livonia, MI
Tell me more about these crepes...
It is The Flint Crepe Co down the street from Paul's. I had a brief brief stint of working there while they were a food cart during college. Have an acquaintance with the owners as well.

Maybe biased a bit but I think they are good (although I can't say I have had many other crêpes to compare them with). They try to locally/Michigan source things and some items are seasonal. So maybe a bit more pricy than some places but at least you hope your money is making a more meaningful impact.

So it has become our (wife and I) tradition now to get Crêpes before chilling and chatting at Paul's for a bit.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
It is The Flint Crepe Co down the street from Paul's. I had a brief brief stint of working there while they were a food cart during college. Have an acquaintance with the owners as well.

Maybe biased a bit but I think they are good (although I can't say I have had many other crêpes to compare them with). They try to locally/Michigan source things and some items are seasonal. So maybe a bit more pricy than some places but at least you hope your money is making a more meaningful impact.

So it has become our (wife and I) tradition now to get Crêpes before chilling and chatting at Paul's for a bit.
Sounds good to me! I can sell a trip to Paul's with the wife by saying, "I heard of this awesome crepe shop! Yes, Paul's is just coincidentally right by it.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Hi All. I’ve only just noticed this thread. I was born and raised in Royal Oak, and I’ve lived in Ferndale the last 20+ years. While that’s right in the middle of the metro area, I’m not exactly close to any of the decent pipe shops in the state. JR Cigar in Southfield used to have an excellent tin selection, but they got rid of all of it a few years ago.

I’ve seen a lot of Spartans in the thread; am I the only Wolverine?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I’ve seen a lot of Spartans in the thread; am I the only Wolverine?
Certainly not!
Nobody's perfect.

I'm kidding and root for Michigan when they aren't playing MSU.

After 7 years and a ton of money, I think I may own a screw at MSU that is holding a toilet to the floor in one of the dorms. Sigh.