PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
This Company is usually associated with a pipe made exclusively for Bing Crosby. The price for one when they come up on the Bay is usually way over my limit. One rarely sees any other Merchant pipes advertised. This one was titled The Windsor Briar so I think it went unnoticed since it was quite inexpensive. The box appears original with the year date of 1952.It looks as if it hasn't been smoked or very minimal. Some of the history of Merchant has been available on this site but I have no experience in how they smoke or how rare they are. Anyone smoke a Merchant Service pipe? Hoppes
img_0602.jpg

img_0603.jpg

img_0604.jpg

img_0605.jpg

img_0606.jpg

img_0607.jpg

img_0608.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Basil Meadows makes a beautiful MS replica that may fall better into your price range.
Bing1_zps9r0cfbil.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
That is a wonderful pipe hoppes! Splendid old pot shape. Enjoy it in good health. I know nothing of the company, history, or pricing to help you out.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice pipe and box. Is the address of the dealer 692 Alum Rock Road, Birmingham? (difficult to read). If so, I Google mapped it and it looks like the dealers shop is now Dadyal Meat Centre. I enjoy Google mapping...I like to imagine what the area was like years ago. I know, it sounds a little weird.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
According to Richard Carleton Hacker in his book titled Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting Merchant Service pipes were, "Originally sold by Londoner Herbert Merchant who had worked for Alfred Dunhill at one time..." My guess is that Mr. Merchant contracted with Headley and French LTD to manufacture his pipes. Perhaps Forums member jguss could shed light on Headley and French, as I found no information concerning them on pipedia.com.
Regarding Mr. Merchant's guarantee:

img_0604.jpg

it was considerably more generous than Dunhill's 90-days.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
While true, don't most pipes that burn out do so in the first three months?
The guarantee included with each of my Dunhill pipes states, in part, "If the bowl of this pipe should crack or burn-out within ninety (90) days from the date of purchase a new pipe will be given in exchange..."
By contrast, as shown above, the Merchant Service guarantee states, in part, that, "Should any defect develop in the bowl or stem we will replace the defective part..." I find it interesting that Mr. Merchant raised the bar by including the stem in his 12-month guarantee, and that he would undertake to service the pipe, free of charge, during that same period.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
funny, all my Dunhill pipes and packaging state a one year guarantee. my Dunhill pipes would have been prior to, or contemporary with Merchant Service pipes.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Just found some other history about these pipes. From an older article. Supposedly from an interview of the Mr. Headley himself. Hoppes

"...but in fact the small business closed down some years ago. At one time most of the famous people in Hollywood bought their pipes from me, but the last customer I met in London was Danny Kaye a year or so ago when he bought some of my last pipes. The late and dearly remembered Bing Crosby used to have several made each year, including two silver-mounted special light-grain ones for his own smoking...In the best days, Karry Rose, Henri Mancini, Sam Lutz and so many Hollywood actors and producers used to smoke these pipes, but I think 'pirate' imitations stole my trade. You ask how it all started and I will tell you.

In about 1938 Bing Crosby was playing golf at St. Andrews in Scotland with Mr. Herbert Merchant, who was smoking a long, slim and finely balanced briar; Bing liked the pipe and asked Merchant to make him one, to which he agreed, and the pipes were thus supplied throughout the war and after. Merchant died in 1944, and to keep the story brief, I became director of the group that took over the old business. I was intrigued to see reference in the files to the Hollywood trade (by this time Bing's friends were also having the pipes made) and decided to resurrect the trade and if possible expand it without losing the personal custom element. My then chairman ordered me to close it down, but I disobeyed, and quietly had some pipes made to the original pattern by a small firm of craftsmen. The board didn't know what I had done, of course, and then I started a long period of wonderful correspondence and some meetings with American pipe smokers.
Some years later, the Herbert Merchant business was sold by my then Group, to Imperial Tobacco - one of the giants in the tobacco trade. When my chairman asked me what I wanted as my leaving gift, I asked for the Merchant Service pipe business. He was surprised and reminded me that it had been closed down years before; When I told him I had not carried out his orders but had kept the trade going, he was at first very angry, but then saw the irony of it all and forgave me. He arranged for the name and the rights to be sold to me for £1.
I thereupon took the USA registration for the Herbert Merchant name, which was in fact Merchant Service.
I formed a limited company with my partner, the Hon. Patrick Penny, and thus was born Holland Penny Ltd.
We opened swank offices in Berkely St. off Grosvenor, and for a time thought we were going to establish a top pipe shop, but we found we could not expand the business without endangering the personal custom factor, and before long closed the premises.
I bought the shares held by Penny. My craftsmen then stopped making pipes, and that was really the end of the business."

Status
Not open for further replies.