PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Treat it like any other pipe.

I usually wipe the chamber out after each smoke to minimize cake buildup but that’s up to you. A meer can be reamed if the cake gets too thick, just don’t go nuts with the reamer.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Sometimes a number of bowls are required to break in a meerschaum. They can, not all but often, have an unpleasant sort of low tide taste at first. This will dissipate over time and eventually disappear but it sometimes requires some patience .

Reactions: Two Pipes Crossing

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Although nobody asked in this thread, I wonder if anyone wanting to color a meer faster faster has tried boiling some tobacco and making a concentrated juice and soaking it. 🤔

I was thinking about this yesterday when someone said something on a different meerschaum thread, but I'm too lazy to go look for it.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Easy
Although nobody asked in this thread, I wonder if anyone wanting to color a meer faster faster has tried boiling some tobacco and making a concentrated juice and soaking it. 🤔

I was thinking about this yesterday when someone said something on a different meerschaum thread, but I'm too lazy to go look for it.
I see how to color a Meer faster come up all the time. I think just let it happen naturally and not rush the process. Just my opinion though to each their own.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA

I suppose that’d work. But, it kinda takes the fun/journey out of it doesn’t it? 🤔☕

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I suppose that’d work. But, it kinda takes the fun/journey out of it doesn’t it? 🤔☕
Probably.

I mean, I don't personally care about it coloring faster, it's just a question I see posed a lot, so I wondered if anyone considered or tried that.

Seems past handful of years, especially last two years, forums inundated with people trying to reinvent the wheel in the most bizarre ways possible when it doesn't need to be reinvented. Can't think of a good term for it but to continue the analogy, it's like someone asking: "instead of casting a wheel of metal, has anyone tried casting one out of concrete". That or asking questions of a different way to do something just because it's different, even knowing not necessarily improved. I think someone else speculated it was AI asking questions trying to learn.

Or for a real world example, just a few days ago, someone on a motorcycle forum I am on started a thread about "starting a motorcycle on the kickstand vs upright and level" and asked about advantages or disadvantages. I called it immediately with a sarcastic post saying "waiting for dumb oil flow theories to be posted" with a popcorn emoji. Few hours later, OP of that thread posted exactly that, some nonsense over-thinking theory by someone with no mechanics knowledge/skill about better oil flow or oil starvation by starting on the kickstand vs starting it standing up.

It's like they had started the thread with that idea in mind without saying it just to see if someone else would confirm their belief, and when everyone said "makes no difference", then they posed their theory.

Last edited:

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Or rather what I should have said before (sorry, a bit out of sorts today), was I wonder why nobody has asked such a thing yet.

Trying to develop a sense for these things. Not precognition if you will, but the not-woo-woo fiction equivalent of what that would be, like when you can see the trope coming in a movie you've never seen before, or you can see the punchline from the setup.