PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ptrlsn

Lurker
Dec 17, 2023
Hello all,

I am new to pipe smoking so bear with me.

Is it possible to not have a meerschaum pipe take on colour? I have seen one that I would like to purchase and I like it in its pure white colour and would like to keep it that way.

I know everybody else wants their meerschaum pipes to colour, but for this particular pipe I want to purchase, I would like it to just stay white.

Thanks
Peter

Reactions: jpmcwjr

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Meerschaum pipes color unless they are African block meerschaum which is usually yellowish to start or artificially colored or dyed. Turkish meers won’t stay pristine white for long at all.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Meerschaum pipes color unless they are African block meerschaum which is usually yellowish to start or artificially colored or dyed. Turkish meers won’t stay pristine white for long at all.
African meerschaum just colors slowly. Meerschaum is found in pinks, greens, blues, and white. The colors are discarded in favor of the pure white material.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
African meerschaum just colors slowly. Meerschaum is found in pinks, greens, blues, and white. The colors are discarded in favor of the pure white material.

I’ve never seen the other colors in meers but I’d like to! That seems interesting! Are they discarded because of any reason other than aesthetics?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Hello all,

I am new to pipe smoking so bear with me.

Is it possible to not have a meerschaum pipe take on colour? I have seen one that I would like to purchase and I like it in its pure white colour and would like to keep it that way.

I know everybody else wants their meerschaum pipes to colour, but for this particular pipe I want to purchase, I would like it to just stay white.

Thanks
Peter
Have you tried carving one out of soap?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You don't want one that wouldn't color. It would be near impossible to keep it clean and pristine white from skin oils, ash, etc.
Without smoking one, the beeswax prevents scratches and discoloration. I bought an Emin Brothers just to look at, and it's frequently handled. In four years of no smoking, it hasn't darkened.

Purchased 2019
004-653-4542.3477-4.jpg004-653-4542_1.3582-1.jpg

Now
20231217_170348.jpg20231217_170402.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Handle it with clean hands, and rinse it out after a smoke. It will still color, but at a slower rate.

So many who can't wait for their pipes to look like they were Grandpa's then Dad's, and smoked weekly!

Enjoy.