PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanishkarl

Lurker
Aug 24, 2015
I have a few briars but have become curious about meerschaum ones. However, I cannot find very many in the UK. I like straight billiards, and am not interested in some of the more outlandish meerschaum designs I have seen. Something plain is good for me. The only one I can find is way too small for my liking.
I have however seen quite a few meerschaum-lined ones, and am wondering if they offer the best of both worlds? i.e. the durability of briar with meerschaum's ability to be smoked almost constantly?
Thanks in advance for any opinions!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've always been curious about this myself. I've looked at a few BC pipes and now Genod pipes.
002-628-0333.jpg

002-010-1437.jpg

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
My experience with meers is that they smoke cooler and drier with more flavor than a briar. I've not used a meer-lined briar pipe, but have to assume that it is pressed meerschaum molded to the bowl. They have been around forever and I would definitely give one a try!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
The only meerschaum lined pipes I have are Falcons and they smoke great with aromatics. Bought them from JN Barber in the UK. In fact all my 21 bowls and 11 stems came from Barber's with exception of 2 corn cob bowls which I purchased from http://www.dgehandmadepipes.com/.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"but have to assume that it is pressed meerschaum molded to the bowl."
I have several meerschaum lined pipes, mostly made by Kiko of what was Tanganyika and one of them disintegrated during clean up and I was astonished to find the meer lining was made up of three separate parts, the rounded bottom with two rings sat atop that so definitely not moulded to the bowl!
As for smoking I couldn't tell one bit of difference twixt a meer lined pipe, a straight meer or a briar pipe.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have some meer billiards, and a meer lined billiard. They all smoke just fine, and as Jay states, not much difference in smoking characteristics.
Briar can be smoked back to back unless smoked wet.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
so definitely not moulded to the bowl
So you lost me Jay, sounds like it WAS molded to fit the bowl! AS to the meer lining, I guess if you are going to smoke meer, might as well smoke a REAL all block meer pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.