PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtpipe

Lurker
Jan 18, 2012
I think meerschaum pipes smoke cooler and look awesome after they get some color. You cannot beat quality meerschaum for smoking tobacco.Also, as mentioned above, they do not need to rest, and you don't have a break-in period. The only tobacco that ever ghosted my meer is Ennerdale Flake, which I love. It goes away after a couple of bowls.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
The reason why I want a meerschaum, is because (from what I gather and have read) they exhibit a cleaner smoke, with less of the remnants of past smokes. A meerschaum doesn't require a cake layer to protect it from burnout, again, as I've read. Which means that you can be free to keep it very clean, and get a smoke that is relatively free from what is known as "ghosting"
I admit, the allure of collecting them is there for me too, because of the figurals, but it's a side issue for me, really.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
+1 Zanthal, no one mentioned it before you, but they do not impart any flavor to the smoke.
All you taste is the tobacco you put in. No cake, no wood, no sweet, no sour, no ghost, no clay taste. Just tobacco.
This is the main attraction for me towards Meers, and even a clay. Although cleaning a clay seems to be a pain in the butt, I like the idea of it.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
But like most man made things they are not all created equal
I wouldn't call them man made anymore than I would call a briar pipe man made. Meerschaum is a naturally occuring mineral.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
Ohin3, I was referring to the difference in a solid block meerschaum and the pressed powder pipes that i have heard about. I should have been a lil more clear....

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I would call an item shaped by man, man-made. I think the point is that the construction can affect the quality of the smoke.

patriotfirst

Lurker
Feb 8, 2010
For mine, as long as I don't puff on it too quickly the smoke can be very cool, maybe it's just me. At the same time, I like the fact that I don't have to break it in, keep a certain tobacco with it, etc. This is also why I like corncob pipes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In my experience, corn cobs certainly do ghost. I seldom smoke my cob, but when I do, I can easily detect the previous bowlful. :puffpipe:

I find that meers ghost too -- but not for as long a time as does briar.

dirtybearpipes

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2012
I have little experience with cobs, and they were all terrible (mostly because my cobs where the 2.99 ones you can get at a gas station). But from what I remember the ghosting was more obvious than in any of my wood pipes.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If you didn't buy a MM COB, you probably bought a Chinese crap one. Cobs have their benefits, but they will ghost just like any other pipe. The benefits are little to no break-in (1 or 2 bowls), a cool dry smoke and the fact that they are cheap. I think it's worth it for every pipe smoker to at least try one. Even if you hate it (most don't) you won't be out much money.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I have three meers, a beautiful estate Pete system fairly new to me, a rusticated Pete billiard with a neat looking military kind of detachable stem and a Thompsom quarter bent bulldog. All three smoke well, cool and have no flavor carry over, and all three are a beautiful medium amber. I use them to smoke the few aromatics that I smoke and the odd drugstore guilty-pleasure blend. I recommend them highly but still love my briars.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Still haven't tried cobs yet but I feel that curious PAD feeling coming over me! Missouri Meers has some good deals on right now for seconds - might hit on the buy button. Soon.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Does anyone know if SMS meers are considered quality ones? I bought 2 of them back in 2000 and never smoke em. One is drilled for crap and a pipe cleaner is useless in it. The other is really long and I need to use churchwarden pipe cleaners in it. I have smoked them a few times but they never really impressed me, maybe that is because they are not good meers? I cannot remember what I paid for them, but I did buy them new.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I have several SMS made pipes. I always thought Sam did good work and he uses good block, in my experience. I got to meet he and his wife Beth years ago (she is from Iowa) and they are good people. That in itself may have colored my opinion of the pipes, but I think they are quality pipes.
I really like Va blends in a meer. The taste of virginias are so sublte and sweet that an absolutley frsh pipe is crucial. Since I don't dedicate pipes to blends....meers are an easy solution to getting a great Va smoke.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I agree mlaug, I've found Virginias do smoke really well in my meer. Well actually every tobacco I've tried so far tastes great in the meer. But the Va seems to shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.