PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
This thing was kind of a nightmare. It looked like it had been finished two or three times. I scrubbed, sanded, and stripped the best I could before I called it good enough for fear of stripping the stamping on the bottom. Ended up finding the bowl was full of fills. Might end up doing a dark stain on it later to try and cover up the fills. Anywho picture time!
Before

After

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
There have been a couple of these on here lately. Interesting pipes. I think a dark color would work nicely. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's kind of ugly but in a very appealing way. It's just me, but I'd go light rather than dark, letting some of the wear and scars show (a little). I think it will be a pretty interesting and somewhat attractive pipe either way.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
There isn't much for scars. I'd actually venture to say it was only smoked once or twice. It just has a lot of fills. I agree with a light colored pipe. I love to see the grain.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Maybe just before restaining you could blot those fills out with a sharpie pen. I've never done it myself, but I've read about others doing it.
I've got my fourth Jet Stream coming in from eBay on Monday. They do smoke really well and have that Mid-Century je ne sais quoi.
This was my first:
jetprofile1_zps41dff9a9.jpg

Be sure to post pics after your resto!

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I'm sure with some work and the right stain you'll have that old thing looking great once more! Looking forward to the finished pictures.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I dig 'em, but it appears that most of them are riddled with fills. Here's one that I rusticated a while back.
medjs-15_zpse2839639.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.