Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
When ground beef goes on sale, I make one of a few meals meatloaf being the main dish. However, I haven't settled on how to sauce the loaf.

Sometimes, I make a glaze (ketchup with brown sugar - picture below) or spice it up with a sweet and spicy sauce (raspberry jam with Chipotle or Sriracha). Other times, I make a gravy.

I am known to make meatloaf just for sandwiches the next day, but that subject is best for a separate thread.

How do you make your meatloaf?
20231231_195935.jpg

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’m either a purist or just boring. No sauce or glaze on my meatloaf 9 times out of 10. Nothing against a good glaze, I just don’t usually bother.

That said, last time I made meatloaf a few weeks ago I put some of those fried onions on top. Not as good as I expected but surprising in how much the onion flavor infused the meat.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
1.25 to 1.33 lbs of meatloaf mix (beef, lamb, pork)

In a large mixing bowl:
1/2 a sweet onion diced
4C Salt Free bread crumbs (1/4 cup or less) or 10 Ritz crackers ground
1 large egg
Some diced Sweet peppers (to taste)
Teaspoon of Za'atar spice
3 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce
Some ketchup (to taste)
Add meat and mix and fold (I use a large spoon to start then switch to a wisk.

Cook at 350 degrees until center temperature reaches 160 degrees fahrenheit for 5 minutes.
If you use a glass loaf pan you can pull out of oven with oven mitts and pour off some of the water and fat after about 45 minutes then let cook rest of time to get to temperature.

This is my quick recipe ... sometimes I add other things if I have them and have time. (mustard, diced celery, garlic and basil diced tomatoes (drained). Depends on mood and hunger.

You can get Za'atar spice at most middle easterns shops or bodegas. ( Mine happens to be from the spice market in south Beirut. )

I like to serve it with french cut string beans and garlic whipped (butter and cream) mashed potatoes.
Good Luck; hope you like it. Haven't had any complaints.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
1.25 to 1.33 lbs of meatloaf mix (beef, lamb, pork)

In a large mixing bowl:
1/2 a sweet onion diced
4C Salt Free bread crumbs (1/4 cup or less) or 10 Ritz crackers ground
1 large egg
Some diced Sweet peppers (to taste)
Teaspoon of Za'atar spice
3 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce
Some ketchup (to taste)
Add meat and mix and fold (I use a large spoon to start then switch to a wisk.

Cook at 350 degrees until center temperature reaches 160 degrees fahrenheit for 5 minutes.
If you use a glass loaf pan you can pull out of oven with oven mitts and pour off some of the water and fat after about 45 minutes then let cook rest of time to get to temperature.

This is my quick recipe ... sometimes I add other things if I have them and have time. (mustard, diced celery, garlic and basil diced tomatoes (drained). Depends on mood and hunger.

You can get Za'atar spice at most middle easterns shops or bodegas. ( Mine happens to be from the spice market in south Beirut. )

I like to serve it with french cut string beans and garlic whipped (butter and cream) mashed potatoes.
I use Ritz crackers in mine also. Mashed potatoes are a must with meat loaf.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I use Ritz crackers in mine also. Mashed potatoes are a must with meat loaf.
Hippocrates and Maimonides recommended Za'atar spice three times a week for all their patients' digestive health problems. Plus Za'atar and olive oil on warm pita bread with feta cheese tomatoes black olives and artichokes is out of this world delicious. Plus you can add meatloaf to it.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I’m not a fan of ketchup so I usually use bbq sauce on top. (I know it’s technically dressed up ketchup) If you have access to a smoker, smoked meatloaf is definitely a game changer.

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
I do a ketchup coating with yellow mustard and brown sugar mixed in - no exact measures as I primarily cook by taste (drives my wife nuts) Spread it on the top with about 20 minutes to go so it caramelizes somewhat. Of course dinner includes mashed potatos and green peas (mixed together).

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Tomato paste with some spices all over the top before baking...or just plain ketchup.

Sometimes I'll fill a cupcake pan with the meat mixture and make mini meatloaves.
Great idea! I like meatloaf but in small doses and freezing smaller portions would save on throwing out leftovers that we just can’t force ourselves to finish after a few days. We have some of those large muffin tins - have used them for mini pecan pies and egg dishes as well as muffins.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Great idea! I like meatloaf but in small doses and freezing smaller portions would save on throwing out leftovers that we just can’t force ourselves to finish after a few days. We have some of those large muffin tins - have used them for mini pecan pies and egg dishes as well as muffins.
Plus, by using muffin pans the edges of the mini meatloaves become crispy... something I prefer.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I’m either a purist or just boring. No sauce or glaze on my meatloaf 9 times out of 10. Nothing against a good glaze, I just don’t usually bother.

That said, last time I made meatloaf a few weeks ago I put some of those fried onions on top. Not as good as I expected but surprising in how much the onion flavor infused the meat.
Same here , when its becomeing ready to serve,and is out of oven I'd sprinkle some drops of Worchester sauce over. it