PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I just picked up this 100g tin of McClelland's Mixture No. 1 from 1995 and I really like it. It's mostly VAs, with a bit of Orientals and just a sprinkling of Latakia. It smokes really smooth and soft and fairly dry. There's a little VA sweetness, but not too much, and the Orientals and Latakia give the mixture a delicate fragrance. It's not an English blend, but it's not a VA either. The closest thing I can think of would be Early Morning Pipe, but even EMP is way over toward the English end of the spectrum. This stuff is it's own animal. I think I've found a new favorite.
lpi-brown-027-600x400.jpg

lpi-brown-026-600x400.jpg

lpi-brown-028-600x400.jpg

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I tend to like the orenitals myself from time to time. I have smoked a few of the Green label from McClellands.Currently i have a can of Mixture#8 opened from 2004, it is good stuff,glad to hear you enjoy Mixture#1.Iam not a big Latakia fan however a touch is ok by me.
Mike.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Nice to see some green Oriental fans make themselves known. I hear next to nothing about these blends, though they must have made a bit of a buzz when they came out 30 or so years ago. That's the second recommendation for No. 8, so I'll have to try that one. I like Latakia, too, but I don't always want a mouthful of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.