PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@jonahtke
Was this a vintage tin? Mine must have been fresh off the boat 'cause there was no such smell. I've about a third left and it's starting to get that aroma now ....

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I find all the FM's to be great, albeit milder than many English/Balkan blends. For whatever reason, I don't find FMOTB to be as good as FM or FMOTT, but it's still a great smoke. All the FM's have a similar tin nose, and I liken them to the same kind of nose as Seattle Pipe Club's blends, Mississippi River and Plum Pudding; however their Seattle Evening is a distinctly more mainstream E/B blend tin nose.
@johnahtke, the smokey smell is definitely distinctive of Latakia blends. If you check out others, such as Westminister or Margate, you will find very different, yet still smokey, tin noses. I find those two to be more representative of traditional E/B blends tin nose than the FM or SPC blends.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
rcstan, First, let me say, your pipe, your tobacco, your rules, so torch away to your hearts content!
Second, there are other Frog Mortons: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Kill_Frog_Morton Interesting, as the video game character is Frog Morton, 2 words like the tobacco, not one, like the book. But in the game, Frog Morton is a bad guy, not a frog.
In the children's book, A Toad For Tuesday, there is a toad named Morton who would be likely found in town or on the bayou. But then, he's a toad.
McClelland suggests the connection to Tolkien. So,not a toad, not a bad guy, but a swamps name applied to a newly developed character. Very creative.
McClelland named 4 of their 7 tobaccos in their Craftsbury Collection after Frog Morton. I have only heard talk on our forum anout the "Frog Series" Has anyone tried the other three frog-less parts of the same family?

Virginia Woods, Deep Hollow, Grey Havens

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
McClelland suggests the connection to Tolkien
Yes that is the only explanation of the name I have heard, before your post. Thanks for enlightening us,
As for the "other" blends, I have not personally tried them. Maybe when I get more $$$ in the TAD ( not the restock ) fund, I will venture into those. They sound interesting from reading the reviews except for Grey Havens.

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
After all these reviews, I anxiously await my 100g Tin of Frog Morton ordered from my exhausted TAD fund.
Thanks to all for the descriptive postings.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Man it's been a long time since I smoked Frog Morton. I used to smoke it but got bored with it rather quickly as my tastes for deeper fuller English developed. I was partial to the orginal. On The Bayou did little for me and On The Town just seemed like the original with more casing. I may have to add a tin to my next order for old time's sake.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Thanx for the Frog Morton explanation. This name has bothered me for years.I knew there was something about it I didn't like// It must be great baccy though. I try to stay out of the Shire.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
Based on the reviews here I bought some. I'm pretty new to pipes and have only smoked C&D Sunset harbor that I like and some aromatics that I didn't care for. Frog is good.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
The Frog... the best series of pipe tobacco in circulation... not just IMO, but fact... :wink:

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I'm using Frog Morton on the Town to break in my new Peterson system 303. Both have been great so far. The tobacco has a woodsy smokey flavor with a spot of sweetness here and there.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I bought a tin of Frog Morton On The Town about 2 weeks ago and have nearly finished it. It's killer! I can't wait to try the others. Any recommendations for my next Frog Morton?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
photoman13: I've only tried the Original and the FMOTT. I might try "Across the Pond" when I put in a TAD order, or have it on a trade list .... "On the Bayou" doesn't sound quite up my alley as I don't find Perique very enticing except once in a while.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Yes and no. If you blaze through a bowl of each there isn't much of a difference, except that FMOTT tastes a bit fuller than Original. If you take your time with FMOTT there is a subtle "something other than Latakia" flavor, a bit salty to me it was. The tin note is a bit different too, if you have the nose to pick up the Basma ( as per tin, I haven't the ability to distinguish between Orientals except Latakia and "other" yet ).
I like them both though.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Frog Morton is my favorite English, tried ATP and didn't like it. Frog Morton has one of the most spicy, complex aroma and taste out there and it has the least tongue bite of any blend I have ever tried. I call it a true zero-bite blend. Whoever blended this stuff is a true master. I am starting to think that it comes slightly too wet and may use a small drying period before use.
This stuff is so incredibley relaxing and old-timey feeling, that I bet if Middle Earth from Lord of the Rings was real, it would be the tobacco the hobbits were smoking.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
yeah I got the saltiness from on the town. I will have to try the original some time and compare.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
yeah I got the saltiness from on the town. I will have to try the original some time and compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.