PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
So I decided to celebrate being back in the states, and the lovely SoCal weather and had some Blue Mtn. Smoke very cool and long, tasted so good. So rich in latakia, I thought I was in heaven. Highly recommended.
Mike

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
One of my favorite smokes when I want a big rich Latakia flavor. Always a cool, rich smoke. Great stuff.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I smoke a lot of Legends pipe tobacco which is in the same line as the blend you speak of.... amazing stuff I must say.. cant go wrong with either of them...

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
McClellan's blue Mountain is truly excellent tobacco. I'm always saddened by reaching the bottom of the tin. Great stuff.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
This great tobacco inevitably gets compared with Black House, and while they are clearly similar (as one would expect from two blends paying homage to BS759), they are each different enough (and good enough) to try and enjoy both. I personally find Blue Mountain to be very fragrant and mild to medium in strength (while still packing a lot of flavor). I did actually try to mix both of these winners (50/50) into a blend as an experiment, but this seemed to only mute the best qualities of each.

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
I really like the flavor and smoke volume of this blend, but I'm frustrated by what I perceive as a really steamy quality to the smoke -- my guess is that it's a result of relatively high amounts of PG -- sometimes it's almost more like "smoking" vapor instead of smoke. Has anyone else noticed this quality? It certainly keeps the smoke from biting, and keeps the smoke cool and smooth. But I'd love to find a blend with the same kind of flavor profile that smokes a less steamily. I haven't tried Black House yet, but I have some on the way (I loved Magnum Opus). Anything else similar worth trying?

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have been occasionally smoking Blue Mountain for several years. I like this tobaccos rich flavor profile and while it has a high content of latakia it also has a deep fragrance that I associate with a full Balkan. I always considered McClelland's Blue Mountain to be kind of a 'sleeper' blend and I am gratified to know that it is more popular than I thought.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Chervokas, you might also like Abingdon or Blackpoint by G.L. Pease. Both were also inspired by BS759.

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
Chervokas, you might also like Abingdon or Blackpoint by G.L. Pease. Both were also inspired by BS759.
Thanks, I'll put them on the list to try. I've been wanting to try some Pease blends but the range of options and the rather undescriptive names have make it hard for me to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.