davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
images.jpg

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Um.... Why is it so hard to believe that the McClelland tang might not be the result of an additive?

Sure, all tobaccos are cased, but I have no reason to believe the trademark smell/taste isn't the byproduct of aging, fermented vas that haven't been processed in the same ways that other blenders to (steam, sugar, etc,). Especially since the folks at McClelland roundly deny using vinegar or anything else that causes the McKetchup experience. True, they could be lying through their teeth, but that's a heavy accusation to lay at their feet (I've never heard of anything but point blank denials being attributed to McC officials, so if anyone has heard them say otherwise feel free to correct me).

For the record, I HAVE encountered the exact same taste/smell from other blenders who use American Virginias -- C&D. It only happened to a couple of batches of their blending Virginias, but it DID happen. After a bit of aging, the previously normal smelling Vas developed that familiar ketchupy thing. I was surprised, to say the least!

I could be wrong, of course. Heck, all of us could be wrong. But the fact is that few - if any -- of us have a lot of firsthand experience in the processes used to prepare Vas. The fact that ive only encountered the ketchupy thing in American grown Vas (unlike the Gawiths or most other European blenders) leads me to suspect that McClelland might be telling the truth.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I get some of the "vinegar" smell with Mac Baren as well, especially blends like Roll Cake. But it's nowhere near as pronounced as with McClelland.

Incidentally, Mac Barens are some of my favorites too. Go figure!

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
I like this vinegary taste that comes through in some of these virginias. HP sauce is what it reminds me of (is that only a British thing?). I taste it in the smoke, too, and it gives the blend a bit of extra "body". I don't enjoy as much the lighter virginia blends, they are too subtle for me. A bit of "body" is a good thing.
I, too, have come across this taste in tobaccos of this kind from various blenders, and sometimes it arises in blends I have jarred for a long time, even when the smell was not present when the tobacco was new. I am quite prepared to accept it is the result of a natural fermentation process, and my experience with jarring tobaccos suggests this is the most likely explanation. I welcome the scent and take it as an indication that the tobacco has been aged nicely.
Not that it matters how this taste arises - the end result is what matters, and whether I enjoy these tobaccos. I do.

May 4, 2015
so I really could care less what you believe.
Nor should you. Incidentally, I don't care what I think either, because I enjoy it all the same, and would so if it were naturally occurring to their Virginia or if they added vinegar as a preservative.

Yeh, I made a couple of typos. "Currying" made me crack up on the re-read, ha ha. and Raising PH verses lowering. I keep forgetting to think of PH as inverse to acidity. Sorry, my bad, ha ha.
The vinegar thing comes up frequently here. I didn't mean to sound jerkish with my comment "so I really could care less what you believe." But, I don't care, ha ha. Beliefs are so weird and varied. Over time here, you will see; I believe the vinegar has to be an additive, I believe that opening jars doesn't affect the aging process, I believe that making big clouds of smoke is the best way to smoke, I believe that lighters destroy pipes, I believe that... blah, blah, blah. I (me) BELIEVES that without these silly beliefs, the forums would be way less entertaining, but over time... eh. We need some newer interesting beliefs, like pipes given to us by aliens, or that the best way to carry tobacco is in your shoe. Something worthy of having a silly belief. :puffy:

I've stopped believing in trees.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've stopped believing in trees.
... and I was going to start charging $1.50 just to see them.
BTW ... one of my favorite pipes was given to me by an alien:
218178150_5908df2c16_b.jpg

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
For what it is worth, I actually asked Mike McNiel of McClelland about this popular topic at a pipe show and he indicated that the high sugar content of his Virginias leads to this perceived aroma (for some, at least) as part of the fermentation process. For me, that settled the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.