PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chargerucd

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2013
Hello everybody.
I was wondering how long would you cellar tins for, such that if you just left them any longer, they just wouldn’t have any noticeable improvement?

Reactions: seanv

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Improvement isn't guaranteed with the passage of time. Virginias may sweeten and perique can get more of a dark fruit flavor and lose some peppery tones. Latakia tends to soften with age. Burleys tend to very slowly change. But these are just generalities, each blend will change differently with time. Whether it is an improvement depends on your tastes.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Hello everybody.
I was wondering how long would you cellar tins for, such that if you just left them any longer, they just wouldn’t have any noticeable improvement?
This is one of the Top Ten questions posed here. The short answer is, nobody knows. The long answer is quite long and discusses how some tobaccos are likely to improve over a 1-20 year period, while some will degrade over that same time range. Give us an idea as to what your favor is, and we might be able to narrow it down a bit. Be warned: There will be caveats.

Last edited:

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
It really depends what your taste is and what you want from a blend.

I recently had 15 year old Solani 633 and it was sweet and sublime. But I also had 20 year old Brown Clunee and it had developed an odd medicinal flavor that said to me it was past its prime.

I have had Balkans and English blends that mellowed out in ways that I enjoyed, but also ones that lost so much of their power and fragrance as to be downright boring and not worth paying good money for.
It can be a crap shoot.

If you want to speed up the aging process, decant a new tin into a jar and try it in 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, etc. Introducing oxygen can mimic some of the aging. You can also see Virginias darken and ripen through the glass.

Reactions: seanv

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
While my experience pales in comparison to many on this forum, I have found my Virginias from McClelland, Gawith , and even PS Stokkebyes Luxury series all seem to sweeten and develop darker flavors since cellaring in 2016. Aro’s seem to start to flatten out a little as they get beyond five or so years.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hello everybody.
Tobaccos change, to a greater or lesser degree, as they age. Whether that change is an improvement is up to the individual smoker to decide.
Greg Pease, in his FAQ, says that the amount of change is greatest during the first five years, and after that, the pace of change is more incremental.
On the other hand, the better blenders age their products before release and believe that their products are ready to be enjoyed upon release.
There’s no one standard regarding “aging”. That most of my cellar is anywhere from 3 to 15 years old, with some much older than that, is more a matter of my rate of consumption than any intention to age blends.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I like my aged tobacco over the fresh stuff almost every time. The Virginias always develop a darker sweeter taste. To me Burleys don’t ever change. I had a tin of the original release of Gaslight and it was the best Latakia blend that I’ve ever smoked.