PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Interesting, and fortuitous question, since in a short while I face this very situation. I don't have a good, black billiard, which is the kind of pipe this situation calls for, so I'll have to go with my 107 Irish Harp. I have one "dress" pipe from Nording, but the freehand style is a little too "wild" for a formal occasion. Do you think the Harp will be appropriate for a date?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@sparrowhawk
The Harp sounds good as the nickel band and dark finish look quite formal. However, these days the fact that you smoke a pipe already sets you apart, and in a good way.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I never dress my pipe. Lighting it would be a chore and somewhat dangerous! LOL

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I'm lucky these days if I can match myself to my clothes... having to think the same pipe-ish would maybe push me from neurotic to psychotic in one easy puff.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I never dress my pipe. Lighting it would be a chore and somewhat dangerous! LOL
Evokes recollection of Abbott leaving Costello in the kitchen with a live duck and telling him to dress it...comes back to find he cut up the plaid tablecloth and made a little outfit and hat for the bird.
I no longer smoke in public, but even when I did I never gave a thought to accessorizing with a pipe. Left to my own devices my socks wouldn't match each other let alone the rest of my clothes.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
My only suit is a black three piece and it works as most of my rotation are meers so the black and white works. If I was to match my everyday clothes to my pipes I'd be wearing a lot of tweed. lol

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I find that pipes with horizontal stripes makes my face look fat.... but it's likely my face that makes my face look fat, but stripes don't help.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I understand the way it used to be, and the need to match your suit to a good pipe. Now, I definitely choose a pipe if I plan to be out, formal or not. However, I choose a pipe that I am proud to show off, just because I hope one person will ask me who made my pipe or how I acquired it.

mrwestminster

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Nearly every pipe I own is brown or black. These match anything rather well, though I don't tend to smoke my pipe while "out" all too often. I once took out a nice, smooth (and fairly new) Peterson out to dinner and drinks... I managed to send it tumbling to the ground after a stout too many. Briar + Beer x Butterfingers = A waste of a perfectly good pipe.
As such, on the rare occasion that I do take a pipe out with me, it also tends to be a cob pipe.

To match that to any outfit, I think I would need to wear dungarees and a straw hat, which I am not prepared to do.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
No I almost never dress up except for the theatre,hatchings,matchings and dispatchings, my daily attire is semi casual golf/polo shirts with chino's. I do however have a Harris tweed jacket and Lancastershire flat cap from my misspent youth. I suppose wearing that people might either think I am a charachter or one of those hipsters I hear a lot off.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
There are only 3 occasions when I would be dressed up. Weddings, funerals and job interviews. Only the wedding I'd smoke a pipe at and in NY's hostile anti environment that isn't an option. My regular work attire is like Fafnir in that it's polo type shirts and Khaki's with sweaters in the winter.
So it's usually just whatever tobacco I feel like smoking and then pick the corresponding pipe.
hatchings,matchings and dispatchings

I assume that means births, weddings and funerals?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
What pipe goes with fat and naked ?
That reminds me of the show "Naked and Afraid" I think on Discovery channel where the drop a man and a woman off in a desolate place, naked and they can only bring 1 item each and have to survive in the wild, can you imagine it, there I am, in some strange jungle with an ugly woman, wearing nothing but my Country Gentlemen :crazy:

pappap

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2016
I don't match pipe with what I wear,my regular out fit is blue jeans and a tie dyed t- shirt ,I wear a Bowler Derby or fedora with that , so what kind of pipe matches

Status
Not open for further replies.