PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Do you find certain bowl shapes work better with certain tobacco types? I'm thinking particularly about flakes and the kinds of chambers in which they tend to burn longer and more evenly. For example, I've found that deep and narrow chambers bring out their flavor very well, but I have more trouble with condensation after the midway point. The problem could very well be me, of course. I'm curious about how you pair pipes and leaves.

Reactions: FLDRD

shane1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2014
Connecticut, USA
Not sure I ever noticed. It must make some kind of difference. I know smaller, thinner bowls get hot for me like Bings favorite.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Didn't we just do this thread with a number of posts in response? I feel sure we did.
Oof. We did and I completely missed it! My apologies.

Well, here’s a photo I took of Harris at a recent party. Perhaps the thread won’t be a complete waste of time.

Attachments

• CBBDC5F9-4A51-4A13-9624-7AF1C007D50B.jpeg
    CBBDC5F9-4A51-4A13-9624-7AF1C007D50B.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

bradical

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2018
Often, the stronger the blend, the smaller the bowl, but even that’s not a hard and fast rule.

Reactions: futureman

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Do you find certain bowl shapes work better with certain tobacco types? I'm thinking particularly about flakes and the kinds of chambers in which they tend to burn longer and more evenly. For example, I've found that deep and narrow chambers bring out their flavor very well, but I have more trouble with condensation after the midway point. The problem could very well be me, of course. I'm curious about how you pair pipes and leaves.
I absolutely find that different sizes and shapes affect the flavor.
So how do I pair them? Lots of experimentation, finding little clues, and applying that to yet more experimentation.

I find that all the factors have an effect.
The briar, the size, the shape; all change the result of the same tobacco.

Last night I just tried a new combination of pipe, tobacco, & fold & stuff instead of rubbing out. It was the best this tobacco has tasted, and I've been trying several combinations. If the experience holds up and turns out to be something more than simply the random phase of the moon, I'll reproduce that consistently for this pipe - either with the same blend or something similar, as a new starting point when I open a tin of something new to me.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Really don't taste much difference as to which tobacco with which pipe. However, I like the idea of smoking Latakia in bulldogs/Rhodesian/pot. The idea of those shapes just go well with idea of Latakia. It's like meeting a beautiful girl and finding out she's a real bitch, but look great sitting next to in your Yugo.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I absolutely find that different sizes and shapes affect the flavor.
So how do I pair them? Lots of experimentation, finding little clues, and applying that to yet more experimentation.

I find that all the factors have an effect.
The briar, the size, the shape; all change the result of the same tobacco.

Last night I just tried a new combination of pipe, tobacco, & fold & stuff instead of rubbing out. It was the best this tobacco has tasted, and I've been trying several combinations. If the experience holds up and turns out to be something more than simply the random phase of the moon, I'll reproduce that consistently for this pipe - either with the same blend or something similar, as a new starting point when I open a tin of something new to me.
i agree...some combination of pipe and tobacco taste extraordinary...once in a while I am so amazed if I find that right combo ....But even if I smoke the right matching combo it tastes differently in different day...I am not sure what causes that-different air pressure,different food eaten that day or my mood that day who knows....

Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
i agree...some combination of pipe and tobacco taste extraordinary...once in a while I am so amazed if I find that right combo ....But even if I smoke the right matching combo it tastes differently in different day...I am not sure what causes that-different air pressure,different food eaten that day or my mood that day who knows....
I'm really thinking it must have a lot to do with our personal physiology; influenced quite heavily by our food, drink, hydration levels, minor variability in our pH levels...

But I'm certainly not discounting the randomity of phases of the moon, star alignment, general mood, stress levels, and how long since we've been laid. Sometimes the intangible seems the most significant... ?

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
All chambers are round. I think the 3 T’s matter most—Technique, Tamper and Talent

Not like the 3 T’s my Dad warned me about…

He said, “If it’s got Tits or Tires, you’ve got Troubles.”

Reactions: futureman