Not open for further replies.
5_mini3.jpeg

Blowfish?

• Haha
Reactions: Dallas Wynn

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Given a particular pipe, a confidant air and nonchalant ease are probably the key to carrying it off. If you are self-conscious and full of self-doubt, you will look ridiculous whatever pipe you choose. This works with a corncob pipe or an opera dress pipe. If you want to smoke a cob in a tux, and believe you can do it with aplomb, you will. Put the burden of doubt on your viewer, and he will think, "Why couldn't I do that?"

Actually, it is self-consciousness that will bring the police over to check out what you are smoking. They are like dogs, one whiff of fear or jerkishness and they are onto you. It is confidence that makes it so that I could roll a cigarette in a police station waiting room without anyone blinking. If you look like you are supposed to be doing what you are doing, no one will question you.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A tall, lanky guy like Abe Lincoln would look silly with a chubby nose warmer; but he could pull off a chimney easily.

I think attention to these things is warranted. Which would be more appealing for Lee Van Cleef, a squat tomato or a 3/4 bent billiard meer?

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
I was in a tinderbox in la back in the early 80's was looking at several pies and the gal said "that one rally complements your face" I thought wtf. Never gave it a second thought and i didnt buy that pipe

thesinistral

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2016
I may sound like a jack wagon here but for me, smoking is a selfish pursuit. I smoke what I think will taste best or something that pleases me to hold while I smoke. I just bought today a meerschaum with 2 stylized carp on it. It's probably a bit heavy but I will not hesitate taking that out in " public". ( though nowhere to smoke anymore but that's a different topic.)

Jan 8, 2013
I honestly don't give a hoot about matching pipe to face... I think it's a bunch of mumbo jumbo. I also can't believe I just used the words hoot and mumbo jumbo in one sentence. Er, two sentences. Seriously though, I purchase a pipe because it appeals to me, be it the shape or the grain or both. It's not a fashion statement for me. It is something I enjoy. If someone were to tell me, "that pipe doesn't fit your face," I would likely reply with, "nor do your ears fit yours." :D

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Smoke what you enjoy. If a pipe looks better with your face and that makes you more comfortable smoking it in public, go for it.
Personally I wouldn't think much of it unless you know your portrait is going to be painted or your being photogahed for something important.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A variation of this thread has actually been bothering a lot of late, in particular, what species of pipe to pull out when dating. What would more appropriate went steppin' out? Would a elegant black hurehwarden with a silver band look good. On what occasions would a bent pipe look good? And so forth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not a big fan of matching pipes to bodily features, clothes and occasions, as mentioned in my earlier post. But if you are trying to do that, it's an exercise in fashion thinking, so I guess you have to go there. You can play it for consistency, getting the pipe to look consistent with your face, long or round or square, and commensurate with the occasion, formal or folks or whatever. But then there are all kinds of cross currents you can perform, like doing a cob pipe with a tux, or an opera pipe with jeans. If you get into "acting," you'll have to try it in the mirror. Dating, I wouldn't do a churchwarden. That's an indoor, sitting down pipe, and you can't do that out on a date, only later when you are comfortable being at home. Always consider playing the pipe as a contrast or surprise or accent piece. That's when you can get away with the green stain or Oom-Paul, but you have to act as though you don't realize it's anything different, and only explain if asked, if then. It's a drama workshop.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I don't clench the pipe in my teeth very often. When I do, it is clenched in my molars and pulls my lip to the side. That is most comfortable for my larger pipes for a short amount of time. I walked into the bathroom, pipe clenched, and saw in the mirror I looked as though I had been in an industrial accident. My pipes are not light enough and don't have comfortable bits for clenching long periods. Now I have an excuse to buy smaller bowls with flatter bits for clenching. PAD strikes again. I very much like the suggestions found here. Thanks folks !!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Too sexy for your pipes? :)
What may look a bit odd, regardless of shape of face, are the big free hands, Hungarians (Oom Paul if you will), or oversized bents when carried around in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.