PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have never been a fan of red wines, however, I do like a good Honey Mead. Honey Mead goes very well with certain tobacco blends. Hit your local package store and see if they have "Dansk Mjød" It averages $25-30 for a 750ml bottle, but the bottle itself is heavy and thick ceramic.
There are 8 blends, but the most common are Viking Blød, Klapøjster Mjød, and GL Dansk Mjød.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Black velvet and coke, AND pipe tobacco?! What is your tongue made of?! Carbonation and smoke were not pleasant when I tried it, ONCE--I can't imagine adding alcohol to that.
You do you, 12pups...

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
You still have the right to carry, jkrug, just that your laws disagree a little bit. But it's Canada, after all. What's law got to do with it?
:)
Awful lot of U.S. compacts up there, I've heard. Rightfully, not legally. LOL

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I've wondered about beers. I'm not a beer drinker, except for hot, sweaty days. Beer does something for you on days like that, nothing else can. Never smoked with them, though.
Whiskies go so well with tobacco that I might not pursue the wine pairing too much.
And if I were worried so much about my health, I wouldn't smoke at all, I think. So far, fingers crossed, my couple pipes a day with a whisky or bourbon or scotch are crossing the line too far. C'mon, genetics -- help me out.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Rightful but not lawful...true that! :twisted:
I like a good whiskey or bourbon with a good bowl as well. I also like a good pint with a bowl too. Aw hell...I guess I just like to sit around and drink and smoke!! :D

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Merlot with PA, not so satisfying. When my 403 comes, I'll try that. Need something more robust for the Merlot, I think.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I usually only drink water when smoking, sometimes a scotch.
I haven't experimented with wine and tobacco pairings to tell you the truth. I use to work at a wine club about ten years ago and learned a few things. Taste is subjective so if you like big dry cabs or jammy zinns, or what ever stick with what you like. Some stores like Bevmo will post the Parker points ( a grading scale) I can do pretty good finding a wine 80-85 points under $20 chances are that it is pretty good. If you find one that is 90 points and above under $20 buy it.
With that said I live in California and wine choices are all over the map. Some awesome brands are Ridge, Burrel School, Silver Oak. They will cost you though. I like Zinnfendel but be warned some have a high alcohol content and can cause pregnancy. Lots of good zinns come from Lodi, yep like the Credence Clear Water revival song. Some great inexpensive reds come from Argentina and Australia.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
By coincidence I had come to report how well the Zinfandel went with the pipe last night. All I had was PA, but found a good pairing! ... And now will look for more.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I find a little scotch and water pares very nice with tobacco.
If you are looking for a nice jammy Zin check this out.
http://layercakewines.com/region/italy/

Status
Not open for further replies.