PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
The pipe is ordered and Alex Grandolfo has shipped it but it was sent via priority mail. Right now the Italian post office has it and the tracking is a little rough/limited. My guess is that I won't receive the pipe for another 2 weeks.
I'm not sure why he didn't ship via 3-day Fedex which is only $18 from Italy. The priority mail method he used takes around 2 weeks and costs $15.
I'll update the thread when I receive the pipe.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
am I the only one who sees the problem with the stems on those pipes? It's just a hole in the end of the stem
No. One of the first things I noticed about some of them.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
am I the only one who sees the problem with the stems on those pipes? It's just a hole in the end of the stem
One of my favorite pipes is a Peterson p-lip with an opening that is about the same size, although it is oriented up towards the roof of your mouth. It will be interesting to see how my first Mastro Grandolfo smokes. I'll let you guys know in a week or so when it arrives.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Received the pipe today. It was a very nice package with a certificate of authenticity, an olive wood tamper, pipe cleaners, support certificate, pipe bag and also a pipe!
Here are some photos:
kIjNdUV.jpg

P2oGtNF.jpg

jz19Flc.jpg

IlDpLSt.jpg

K5mnzSw.jpg

73JrlhN.jpg

I'll put one final update on this thread after I have a chance to smoke it tonight.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These look nicely designed and finished. Maybe some of you owners could keep us posted how they do over time. Alternate woods always arouse some suspicion, but many of them do well enough. I have several pipes made of Mountain Laurel, which was adapted in the U.S. when the supply of briar was cut off during World War II. These have done well over twelve years (the one I've had the longest).

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Just finished my first smoke with the new pipe...it was excellent. My first bowl was Bowsell's Magnum english blend.
rWWgv34.jpg

CinYE6Q.jpg

I packed the pipe about 3/4's full. Smoked pretty aggressively tonight and still ended up with a 1.5 hour smoke. The smoke was cool and dry. The pipe itself was a little warmer than I expected during the smoke considering that there is almost 3/4" of olive wood outside of the bowl.
This is my best 1st smoke apart from a moretti bog oak morta poker. The smoke was a little sweater than what I get out of my briars and cobs.
All in all I'm impressed with the way the pipe smokes and looks. I'm sure this won't be my only Grandolfo pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.