Mass. Community Says "NO" To Tobacco Ban!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I read the comments and especially liked this one...
"...Won't somebody pleeeeeeeeze think of the children?? Who cares about your stupid "rights"? If we can give up more and more of our rights to save our precious little snowflakes, where every child is special, then it will all be worth it! Do it now- do it for the children!!"
"Who Cares about your stupid rights?" That's the kind of mentality that so many people seem to have these days. Well, genius, I care about my stupid rights. And many other AMERICANS care about THEIR STUPID rights too. If you don't like to smoke, don't smoke. If you don't want to be around smokers then steer clear of them. Nobody's forcing a cigarette (or cigar, or pipe) in your mouth. Therefore don't try to force those who smoke not to smoke. I care about the health and well being of children as much as the next person, but when people use children as an excuse to regulate or ban things that are meant for adults anyway, it makes me sick. Next it's going to be ban alcohol again... think of the children. Or ban firearms.... think of the children. Or ban freaking twinkies and potato chips.... think of the children. You know what? You should worry more about the pollution from your automobile, or factories, or the methane in cow manure. So maybe you should ban cars, factories, and the beef industry too. Freaking idiots.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I care about the health and well being of children as much as the next person, but when people use children as an excuse to regulate or ban things that are meant for adults anyway, it makes me sick.

Well said Anthony- I couldn't agree more. Too many IDIOTS in this world these days.............

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
"...Won't somebody pleeeeeeeeze think of the children?? Who cares about your stupid "rights"? If we can give up more and more of our rights to save our precious little snowflakes, where every child is special, then it will all be worth it! Do it now- do it for the children!!"

Hahahahaha

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
We ARE thinking of the children, ensuring they still have a few rights left when then grow up.

Giving up ANY of our rights, is denying our children the precious few rights that they'll have left in the future.

Jan 8, 2013
People need to wake up and remember what country we are living in. And if they don't like this country for what it is, for what it is supposed to be, then they should leave for a country that suits them better. And when they end up in a country where they can't pass gas without getting taxed for it, they should be pleased with themselves.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
This makes my blood boil, the UK is potentially heading the same way.
Every time I've had this argument with someone they seem to think it's about smoking. In fact it's not about smoking at all, it's about setting a precedent that will allow the government to increasingly encroach on our rights and freedoms. It's all well and good for the government to ban tobacco if you're someone who does not care for it, but what about when the gaze of the puritan turns to alcohol, fatty foods, automobiles, freedom of speech? By then it's too late to complain.
Think of the children indeed.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
I am sure this is going topic is going to turn very political fast but thanks for sharing this. I hope the folks of that town keep up the good fight. More places should look to this town as an example of what the people can do when they stand up and do something.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Town health agent Elizabeth Swedberg has the support of nonsmokers like Vicki Tobin, who said she’d like to keep cigarettes out of sight — and mind — of her three young boys.
“I just think it’s a great step in a positive way to promote a healthy town, a healthy lifestyle,” she said."
What are the odds, do you suppose, that Ms. Tobin has alcoholic beverages in her home? Just saying...

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Fair play to Ms Tobin for obviating her parental responsibilities and passing them to Ms Swedberg, I say
:clap:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
"Fair play to Ms Tobin for obviating her parental responsibilities and passing them to Ms Swedberg, I say"
Do the majority of today's parents actually bother to raise their own children, or do they just blithely pass that responsibility to strangers (television, video games, the Internet, daycare workers, teachers in government schools, sports coaches, etc.) and then wonder why they turn out like these two women?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
In my day an A Hole like that would get a good slap and a kick in the butt, we need to go back to that. We have let these people control our life's. Reminds me of my neighbor who was against drinking , dancing and fornication, yet when putting out her trash the liquor bottles were clinking loudly in her garbage bag. Didn't know anyone who wanted to dance or fornicate with her.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
they are going to do to tobacco what they did to alcohol in the 20's ban it and see that people will do it anyway, and all the money they will lose in the taxes on it then lift the ban

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Brad I couldn't agree with you more.

Reminds me of the stupid zero tolerance stance that schools now have.

If there is a problem 99% of the time a good tail whippin would take care of it.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
They'll never ban tobacco use outright as tax revenue is too good to let go of. Of course all that they do to restrict the use is for "the greater good" and "for the children." This is classic sin tax. Here in Colorado it is against the law for the legislature to raise taxes unless authorized by voters ... well let's just ask the voters for an increase in taxes on: tobacco products, gambling and marijuana.
If you need to take something away from others (whether it is rights or taxes), it is the path of least resistance to claim it to be for the greater good.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
"...like Vicki Tobin, who said she’d like to keep cigarettes out of sight — and mind — of her three young boys.
“I just think it’s a great step in a positive way to promote a healthy town, a healthy lifestyle,” she said."
Well, Ms. Tobin, then why not put "out of sight - and mind -" (read "ban") all fast-food restaurants, bakeries, television, the Internet, video games, liquor sales, war, "objectionable" books, movies, and anything else which offends your delicate sensibilities? Just hole-up with your three young boys in an opaque bubble, and you'll all turn out fine!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
"they are going to do to tobacco what they did to alcohol in the 20's ban it and see that people will do it anyway, and all the money they will lose in the taxes on it then lift the ban."
Bathtub Burley Flake?
BTW, I'm fairly certain the "pleeeez think of the children" comment was meant to be sarcastic.
All in all, this is a bit of good news.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” - C.S. Lewis
Do these "parents" think that kids will never see tobacco (or booze, guns, whatever) if they shelter them by banning it? I completely agree with whoever commented above about the abdication of parenting. The reason some/most kids go off the rails on stuff like is that they weren't exposed to it under parental guidance and given information such that they would make wise decisions when their time came.

Status
Not open for further replies.