PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
I love gin martinis and enjoy that libation quite often.... dry and with blue cheese stuffed olives... I also like a Gibson which is the same drink but with cocktail onions..
But what I really like is a Rob Roy.... which is a scotch Manhattan...I prefer Johnny Walker Black... but in truth any scotch will do!

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings,
I know this thread is about Martinis, but I just can't do Gin. And Vodka, to me, is just "industrial" booze. No aging in wood, just double or triple distilled alcohol. I understand many will disagree.
My favorite is the Old Fashioned. Unfortunately, most bartenders don't have a clue how to make a "proper" Old Fashioned. They always muddle the cherry and orange in the bottom of the glass, resulting in a fruity slush. Not good. The fruit should always be a garnish, added after the drink is made. I've only found one bartender that made it right, at The Stockyards restaurant in Phoenix. If you visit Phoenix, definitely have dinner and drink at The Stockyards. Been there since 1947. The steaks are excellent.
Here's a proper Old Fashioned:

Sugar cube

2-3 dashes of bitters

Splash of club soda to dissolve the sugar cube

Muddle

Ice

2 ozs. RYE Whiskey. Bourbon will work, but rye is better.

Stir

Top off with club soda

Add cherry and an orange wedge

Done!
So simple, but alas, so hard to find.
Cheers.
CACooper

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey CA,

I never begrudge a man his favorite drink. To each their own. I'm certainly no "Martini Snob". While I love a perfect Martini, I also love a good smoldering, tongue-searing, dark brown, Bloody Mary ("for breakfast" once in a while).

However:

I'm like my old man. When it comes to "Mixed" Drinks I think one should be limited to a good Scotch, Bourbon or Whiskey, and an ice cube. But, I prefer "neat".
However; a Martini is a cocktail, and should (IMO) only be served straight up or "Up".
Shhhh! Don't tell anyone but I do appreciate a Scotch and Soda once in a while.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Arise, Ancient Thread and heed to my bidding! Buahahaha!
I like my Martinis thus:
Bombay Sapphire

A capful of dry Vermouth (The actual Martini Rossi Brand)

1 tsp of the olive juice
Shaken until you can't feel your fingers because of the cold
Strained into a Martini glass with 3 Garlic Stuffed Olives.
Dry, Dirty and Vampire repellant!

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
Has anyone ever tried making a martini with Dutch gin (Jenever)? (Dutch gin being somewhat different to the regular Bombay Sapphire type...more juniper and a generally more oily feel to it....I think in the Netherlands it is common to buy this in a shot glass (a "finger" of gin) and drink neat with your coffee...I'd be interested to know if it works in a martini too..i think Bols and De Kuyper both make such gins
that said- i would rather have a good Manhattan any day...and I like mine quite vermouthy...something like 1 part Canadian Club to 2 parts vermouth works very well indeed, and DON'T forget the cherry!

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
Stoli Vodka

A lil Vermouth

shake the shit outta it until the shaker frosts

garnish with a twist of lime

HEAVEN!!!!!! :D

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Dr. Bombay and I are great friends. 3 olives only, 1 ice cube in a shaker and as dry as the Indian desert. When I go to Ol Blighty, Whiskey Mac's only. I can't seem to find ginger wine worth a crap here.
BTW, try an old fashioned with southern comfort, nice.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I'm not a fan of the martini. I prefer Plymouth Gin in a pink G&T. It is just a gin and tonic with about 6 shakes of bitters. About the only other cocktails I will drink are a rusty nail, scotch on the rocks, or once a year or so a margarita on the rocks.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
Never had a Martini but I love Gin and tonic, I will have to give the Martini a try.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
For the G&T I go for good ol' Tanqueray rather than Bombay Sapphire. Shot o' Tanqueray over an ice-filled old fashioned glass, splash of lime and top of with tonic. Simple and delicious (and prevents malaria).
I'm with you, Lawrence. I like my Martini "up" or not at all.
@Baskerville, Martinis aren't snobby. James bond drank his originally with Gordon's gin, which is pretty much a well drink here in the states! I used to drink Whiskey with beer chasers, but I found it scared the hell out of people when I did that. These days if you do that people will think you're a hard-drinkin' madman. I think they've gotten a little sissified these days. If you're ever down my way, I'll have a shot of Ezra 90 and a Shiner Bock with ya though!

soylentgreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2011
Date night with the wifey...
Hendrick's Martini with muddled cucumber accompanied with crab cakes over fried green tomatoes.
Now that's tough to improve upon if you ask me.
-Wayne

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I never cared much for martinis, as for practical purposes, the "dry" ones are nothing but straight-up gin. (You "dry" connoiseurs would probably be aghast at FDR's White House cocktail hour, where he used almost 50% vermouth in mixing his guests' martinis.:lol:) The worst drink I ever had was a gin and diet tonic water. About the only gin drink I like is a tall Tom Collins, and for those, you can use the cheap gin that comes in plastic jugs which works just fine.
I always thought a vodka martini was called a Gibson, and it was garnished one of those little cocktail onions instead of an olive.
As for the shaken/stirred debate, all I can say is I once watched as a hotel bartender (he looked like an 18-year-old kid) had to check his recipe book for my favorite cocktail, a Manhattan on the rocks. He put the whiskey, sweet vermouth and dash of bitters all in a shaker with ice and I watched in amazement as he SHOOK the SOB!! I didn't try to correct him, as I was already pissed at not being able to smoke my pipe at this place and didn't want to lose my temper further. (And he forgot the cherry.) :roll:

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I'm quite fond of gin in its many variations. Is gin just juniper flavoured vodka or is it really different from vodka? I mean the making of it, not the taste of it.:)
I didn't have my first real martini until in my thirties (so long ago). I loved it right away. Good gin, just enough vermouth to barely tickle the taste buds. That's more than a drop but not much more. It's the only way I can stand dry vermouth, with Lots of chilled gin, not vodka. It destroys the ethereal translucence of good vodka.
I go through phases. It is autumn now, beginning of my first 'winter with pipe'. Now I want to pair tobaccos with whiskeys, brandy, port, etc., the winter friends. I fear that several personal experiments will have to be carried out before I can come to fair conclusions. Don't want to waste time with hasty decisions. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.