PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My favorite show of all time. Al Bundy was the "every man". Over the top? Absolutely. Have I quoted Al? You bet. I still have my NOMAAM t-shirt and wear it proudly. My other fave is Fawlty Towers. In fact, I named my MGB Basil.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Also, Al Bundy (Ed O'Neil) grew up in one of the towns surrounding Pittsburgh and a friend of mine who works for an undisclosed retirement home told me that he visits several of the residents on a regular basis and is a consummate gentleman. He was also a great football player in real life and played college ball as well as even being drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers, though he didn't make it through training camp.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
"Married With Children" was great. Peg shrieking, "Aaaaaaaaaaaallllllll," Grand Master Bee, and Al leading No Ma'am: The National Organization Of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood. Psycho Dad. The Dodge. Ruff the dog. Oh, man. I am laughing just thinking about it.
Cheers,
Chili

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
MWC was ok............... It had some good moments. It was on at the same hour that re-runs of "Are You Being Served?" was on, and I MUCH preferred that show. Man, THAT was some funny stuff!
Jay- Care to share an opinion on "Are you being Served?" .............. I find it fascinating that Americans love the British humor, and Brits love the American humour...........
IMO, "Are You Being Served?" was one of the true greats of TV................ :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Outrageous guest stars like Robert Englund and Sam Kinison!
13.png

image-1.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Are You Being Served" was one of the finest comedy ensemble shows I've ever seen. Very well written and the players were exceptional. I'm hard pressed to think of any American comedy series ensemble that's close. "All in the Family" comes to mind, not a favorite of mine but, certainly well written and executed. Perhaps, "Last Man Standing."

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Damn it was even popular in Turkey and you could find it playing on Turkish TV channels all the time, I also watch the reruns.
I LOVE Monty Python and Benny Hill!
I still watch Monty Python at least once a week on Youtube. Benny Hill was great as well. And let's not forget Mr. Bean.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Beefeater, regards 'Are You Being Served?' I remember it well and enjoyed it at the time (I was a teenager back then) but couldn't watch it now.
My favourite UK comedies were 'Porridge', ' Fawlty Towers', 'Steptoe And Son' and 'Rising Damp' with the hilarious Leonard Rossiter.
As for 'Married With Children' being filmed in front of a live audience, that is pretty obvious but I still reckon the 'laughter' is an added soundtrack. If you listen to it very carefully there are at least four 'laughter sounds' that are quite distinct and are easily recognisable interspersed between the gags.
Still, for the money (about £40) I think I got a good deal considering how many hours of viewing I got.
BTW, that 1960's Ford Mustang in episode 5 of disc 1 was to die for!
Regards,
Jay.

Jun 27, 2016
Jay, I believe what you are hearing are the audience mic-levels being adjusted in relation to the stage mics when they are mixing the sound. It does sound artificial when it drops in and out like that. That show has always been generally regarded as not having added audience reactions. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.