PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Ok… reaching out to all of you that have gotten me hooked on VA’s & VaPer’s (especially flakes and coin). I have read many mixed reviews on Marlin Flake and was just about to place an order until I started seeing several comments about it burning hot and tongue bite, which I seem susceptible to. I have learned to slow my cadence, which has helped immensely!
I’ve also seen mixed reviews on taste and how it takes a lite (burns). I’m not so concerned about taste as I realize there are many factors and everyone has different preferences, however, I am concerned about the bite.

Looking for some straightforward advice… does this stuff bite? For Va’s and Va/Per’s, I mainly smoke Luxury Bullseye, Escudo (not my favorite), Windjammer, Peterson Navy Flake, several Lakeland blends, and I’m really enjoying Anthology. So how does MF compare?

As always… thanks for your input!!

Reactions: Leomania

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I think it's worth trying. I like it ok. Lit some up now actually.

I don't reach for it often. It feels like a fair bit of work to me. But it can be good.

I like it fully rubbed and dried down. Mine is all January 2021 and newer. I've noticed significant variability between batches in that time.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I don’t find it to bite, but boy do I need to dry the heck out of it. One of my favorites.
Thank you!! If it’s that moist… maybe folks aren’t drying enough and getting it hot. Would also explain the comments about frequent relights. A couple of folks said when they dry it out, it loses a lot of flavor. Is this true?

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I think it's worth trying. I like it ok. Lit some up now actually.

I don't reach for it often. It feels like a fair bit of work to me. But it can be good.

I like it fully rubbed and dried down. Mine is all January 2021 and newer. I've noticed significant variability between batches in that time.
Thanks for your input!!!

Reactions: BenMN

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I don't find it bitey.

I should add that when I was learning it, trying various preps and pipes,I cube cut some very wet flakes and smoked them in a 23cm x 35cm pot. This essentially created little Marlin Flake briquettes towards the end of the smoke. I would not recommend doing that.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Thank you!! If it’s that moist… maybe folks aren’t drying enough and getting it hot. Would also explain the comments about frequent relights. A couple of folks said when they dry it out, it loses a lot of flavor. Is this true?
I get a better stronger flavor from crispy dry blends. I've never noticed a blend get worse drying it out.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Marlin flake is the only tobacco that has given me some kind of awful chemical reaction. Tastes really good though.

Reactions: Relax62

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've found the more recent offerings to require a fair bit of drying. I normally open a tin ~1 week before I expect to start smoking out of it, I'll leave the top off, and that gets it about right for smoking. I prefer Old Gowrie to HOTW or Marlin Flake.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Marlin Flake is a tough one for me… I really wanted to like it. It smelled great but the stuff is rubbery and hard to smoke without getting bit. I think it has cavendish, it has been a few years since I had it. @alaskanpiper said it best… get you some Old Gowrie, you won’t be disappointed.

Reactions: PaulRVA and Relax62

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I don’t notice any flavor loss. I’m also not afraid to let it dry for easily 6 hrs, and it’s still has a little spring. It’s not dry like pencil shavings.

Reactions: Relax62 and dcon

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
We all respond so differently to a blend you'll never know until you try. I have some and find it agreeable, but not necessarily outstanding. I wouldn't miss it as there are so many to try - but it could be YOUR all-star.

Reactions: BenMN and Relax62

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I love Marlin Flake and buy it in bulk as often as i can, its a daily smoke for me. I don't personally find it bites and I really don't bother drying it out, I just smoke it as it comes.