PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've had this ashtray for three years, picked it up at a yardsale for $1 and added a cork knocker. During the summer, it sits out on my covered patio. In the winter, my smoking station moves into my garage/workshop. It's insulated, and while not heated, temps inside rarely drop below 50 degrees. Last night I went out with pipe, paper and a cup of coffee as is my usual evening practice. I lit the match and bowl and reached over to drop the match into the ash tray and saw this.

WTH (what the heck..), that glass is darn near 1/2" thick. It was cracked and broken in half a dozen spots. I wonder what caused this? I did use this as example for explaining to the wife as to why I can't keep my pipes in the garage!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Once there are cracks in glass it is unpredictable.
Anything can set it off to crack cleanly, or explode into a million pieces.
Never keep anything with cracks if you can help it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Ouch, that sucks! I just bought a new Mac Baren ashtray a couple months ago, I also keep it in my garage. I hope that doesn't happen to me.

Sorry about your ashtray, but hey, at least you're only out $1.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Glass can have imperfections which can cause this to happen with repeated stress... I've seen bolts sheer off of mountain bikes just from vibrations over years and years, I'm sure the same thing happens to glass when it goes through temperature extremes over and over. I've had a couple glass items break the same way, some do, some don't; only one way to find out!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Looks like a revolt by the matchsticks...They got tired of seeing their red headed brothers torched and dying a slow gruesome death...

Dec 24, 2012
I have deduced that your wife accidentally knocked over the ashtray and broke it and is too afraid to come clean.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Trust me, my wife kept a lot of distance between her clean-self and that rarely emptied ashtray! The weird thing was that there was no visible cracks a week prior nor was it that cold this week (in the 50's in the garage/workshop)

The thing in the center is a cork knocker.

Weird.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
27F4F15D-1010-4F0A-9A5C-7310ADBB3E1D-30163-000033A21597250C_zpscd76a1f8.jpg
Do this Al it has been with me a long time, large tin, wine cork, couple drops super glue, gurrontied to stand the cold but won't win The Good Housekeeping Award. LOL

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love it Brad. Your cork has a somewhat "Clintoneque" look to it, or so I've been led to believe.

Is that your pipe knocker, or are you just glad to see me?

(I got'a million of them...)

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Old glass gets brittle and will break easily. Looks like your ashtray hit old age and cold. Good excuse to go shopping.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I use an empty tin of of CAO Cherrybomb as an ash tray just to remind myself how badly that stuff sucked.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
I have one you might be interested in. How about a trade? PM me if interested

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I appreciate the offer oldmank, but I rectified the solution today. I don't like investing more than $1 on an ashtray , so I found this today at a junk shop in upstate NY. I'll glue that knocker in the center, than I'll be once again dumping my ash like a gentleman.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Al, what you have there is garage gnomes. Little bastards come in, root around the space looking for bolts they can steal from projects that you are working on. They always only take one and it is the last bolt needed to finish whatever you are doing. Looks like they knocked it as they are quite clumsy. Sorry mate, I hate what they do but it is life in a garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.