PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@fitzy, I've been thinking of putting in a pool table and dart board in my basement as well. Since we rent at the moment, I can't actually smoke in my man cave, but I can in the basement/garage. I've got a couple of lawn chairs and a beer fridge down there right now, but it'd be nice to turn it into Man Cave #2!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@fitzy, that's my plan, but I've gotta get my basement/garage a little more organized first. I've been looking on Craigslist for a good pool table at a reasonable price, just haven't found the right one yet. Hopefully after the first of the year I'll be able to get the ball rolling on "Man Cave #2", since I can actually smoke down there!

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I'm only 20, and still live with my parents. I guess my room would be my man cave. I've got my computer, pipes/tobacco, TV, video games(I'm a huge gamer), and an arm chair. The downsides are I can't smoke in the house, and my walls are purple with flower wall paper. The walls don't bother me, and I'm too lazey to take everything out of my room to repaint them.
I guess I'm pretty old school but can't imagine living at home off/with my parents at 20.. or that the old man would even have given me that option. drafted at 18, in RVN at 19 & 20, married at 20, kid 1 at 22, kid 2 at 24. college degree by 28 while working full time. worked at 3 different companies over 40 years and retired 3 years ago. back then coming home from college or military no one ever thought about moving back in with parents.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I guess I'm pretty old school but can't imagine living at home off/with my parents at 20.. or that the old man would even have given me that option. drafted at 18, in RVN at 19 & 20, married at 20, kid 1 at 22, kid 2 at 24. college degree by 28 while working full time. worked at 3 different companies over 40 years and retired 3 years ago. back then coming home from college or military no one ever thought about moving back in with parents.
The world is lots different now. When did you buy your first house? That was a given for pretty much everyone in your generation. There aren't many jobs anymore that pay well enough to buy a house without having a college degree. The thought of being employed by a company for ten years now is pretty far-fetched. Employers don't have that sort of commitment to their employees anymore.
With all kinds of formerly union manufacturing jobs gone overseas, it's pretty hard to have no education and make a good living wage. Add to that the fact that the job force is pretty top-heavy with baby boomers right now and there isn't a whole lot of upward mobility for those of us in our 20s.
This all to say that the world is different than it was 40 years ago, and the economic structure of who has some money and who doesn't is a lot different, too. Also I'll say that I think it's pretty poor taste to criticize this kid because he lives with his parents at 20.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
The world is lots different now. When did you buy your first house? That was a given for pretty much everyone in your generation. There aren't many jobs anymore that pay well enough to buy a house without having a college degree. The thought of being employed by a company for ten years now is pretty far-fetched. Employers don't have that sort of commitment to their employees anymore.
With all kinds of formerly union manufacturing jobs gone overseas, it's pretty hard to have no education and make a good living wage. Add to that the fact that the job force is pretty top-heavy with baby boomers right now and there isn't a whole lot of upward mobility for those of us in our 20s.
This all to say that the world is different than it was 40 years ago, and the economic structure of who has some money and who doesn't is a lot different, too. Also I'll say that I think it's pretty poor taste to criticize this kid because he lives with his parents at 20.
call BS on most of this.. I was never employed in a 'union' job. in fact my second and third jobs I never even applied for as my local rep in the IT business brought employers to me. right now is a great time to be in position to move up. baby boomers are all hanging it up after a good run of 40 years or so. as far as who has money and who doesn't.. mu first job after the army was $2.95 an hour. I know for a fact living with mom and dad at 20 and too lazy to paint a bedroom ain't no way to go through life. if you can't afford the education then join the army and lean a trade or let them pay for college. the hospital group I worked for was paying skilled plumbers, electricians and hvac guys more to start then they were paying my IT guys and even more then starting RN's. it's out there if you want it but you ain't going to find it at mom's.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
right now is a great time to be in position to move up. baby boomers are all hanging it up after a good run of 40 years or so. as far as who has money and who doesn't.. mu first job after the army was $2.95 an hour.
To get the same buying power you had in 1972 at $2.95 an hour, a person today would have to make $16.50. That kind of proves my whole point.
And to get this back on track, I'll just say that no one is building a cool man cave on $16.50 an hour, and that lots of us are making a good deal less than that.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
To get the same buying power you had in 1972 at $2.95 an hour, a person today would have to make $16.50. That kind of proves my whole point.
And to get this back on track, I'll just say that no one is building a cool man cave on $16.50 an hour, and that lots of us are making a good deal less than that.
if you are making a good deal less then $16.50 an hour and are out of HS or college then you need some motivation. the folks the hospital hires to clean the crappers make more then that plus benefits. not everyone wants to build a man cave but to come on here and mention you are still living at home (unless going to a local college) at 20 and mention you are to lazy to paint a bedroom seems to say something to me. it's easy to sit home.. have mom cook your meals, do your laundry, pay for cable, etc.. but then to complain about the color of your room and add you are to lazy to paint it? wonder what he does around the house to earn his keep? god I miss the good old days of the draft it was a great motivator.

Status
Not open for further replies.