PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Now where you can't steralise wood. Say the person I got it from has a stinking cold/flu, would them germs then be passed on to me so I get a stinking cold/flu? Also if for example they had a cold sore, would I get that from the stem?
There are several things you can do if you're worried about catching something from a used pipe. You could wipe the entire pipe down with a sanitizing wipe. The chamber can be sanitized with a salt and alcohol treatment. The mortise and draft can be sanitized with alcohol, Q-tips, and pipe cleaners. The stem can be cleaned with antibacterial soap and water with the airway being scrubbed out with a bristle pipe cleaner and soap. You could also just use an alcohol retort for the stem, airway, and chamber.

pipesmoker30

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2019
South East (England)
Ok so there safe then, now I have been reading online and to remove the yellow stain on the stem, I have read that a rag or soft bristle toothbrush and toothpaste will do it, is that correct? Any other ideas?

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I've made a few cobs, with reed stems. Butt-ugly cobs, mind you, though they usually smoke pretty well.
This thread is giving me a briar itch, though ...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have read that a rag or soft bristle toothbrush and toothpaste will do it, is that correct? Any other ideas?
If you've never done it before, a 30 minute soak in Oxyclean, with the tenon coated in Vaseline, followed by a scrubbing with Magic Erasers and a polishing with fine micromesh pads. I only use a lighter and a wet paper towel to remove oxidation on the stems, but that was after having the basics down first.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Edit:another photo upload fail from my phone. I'm trying to plug your work, Micheal, but.... my dog won't hunt.
Uploading to Imgur? Make of phone? Details, and I'll see if I can help.
Great bling on those things, Michael.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
John, thank you for your off of help. I haven't uploaded a photo from my PM album in a year so some rust set in. My old PC is gone and I just bought a laptop that takes some getting used to. I followed the same procedures from what I remember, but to no avail. I'll go back and review the sticky amd if I still encounter problems I will gladly employ your offer. Thank you.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If the pix are in the album here, start with #4....
This is how to add photos to your post using the site's photo album:
1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK. (You can paste over the existing http://)
Images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size, but can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, (-600x360)— the numbers and the dash preceding, leaving no spaces, and ending in .jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.