PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Ok. No pics yet, as all my updates are failures, but I still have hopes of a finished product by Thanksgiving.
Grocery Store Stuff: too small of a pith, couldn't fit my tamper in. Drying in oven kinda worked, I had them in at 170 for 4 hours. Needs more like 10 tho it seems. Had the pith carved out a bit more I'd have thrown them back in, but they won't be usable. I thought about just making an itty bitty pipe and using a nail or something for a tamp, could be a special coffee break, or a sampler pipe. But then decided I'm not gonna go threw this trouble for a smoke that'll last 10 min.
Squirrel feeder corn: SUPER DRY! I was very happy. But alas, these must have some steroid hormones something-or-other in them because the Kernels were friggen huge, and again, after carving carving carving, there was still no way I'd ever be able to fit a tamper inside of them.
Current Plan - Try out a couple of the corn fields around me and see if i can buy a few or go the way of Merry and Pippin on a few cobs and see what some nice Northern Illinois field grown corn will do for me.
I also did pick up some bamboo if I decide to go that route for the stem. I like the idea of carving up some old branch or thick twig I find, but I also like how small the bamboo is. Once I have a bowl I'll make that decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.