PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
I have a Hilson Billiard. Awesome pipe.
But to be honest, those Porsche pipes have always scared the hell out of me. They look like the sort of thing you'd be smoking with Tom Cruise in Risky Business, listening to Hall & Oates "Method of Modern Love" peeling out in dad's sports car while reading Robb Report. Totally 80's.
Nonetheless, it was a niche design that had long staying power and it's sad to see 'em go.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I really like most of the Prosche pipes but I have always thought they were way over priced. I understand in believing your product is worth something, but in the end it is only worth what people are willing to pay.
If they have such a large supply, lowering the prices to something more reasonable would probably help. IMHO

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Bummer... especially the Hilson side of the house. I do hope they bounce back.
Adam: Do you know which Hilson you have ? Would you mind posting a pic of it here ? Depending on when it was made (before 1980) it actually would not have been made by Gubbels, but by the actual Hillens owned pipe factory in Belgium. I have always been told the older ones smoke better and have to admit that the older ones in my collection are better smokers as well.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I dont know much about porsche or hilson, but I have heard some good things about big ben pipes from some buddys

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
What mick says about Hilson is also true for Porsche: the first Porsches were made by Vauen, and are of a very different construction than the later ones made by Gubbels. You can tell in a glance, because the Gubbels-version has a screwed-down ring on top of the bowl. The originals are fine smokers, the later ones I'm not familiar with. And yes, adam12, they are very eighties. I only smoke mine in the house nowadays, with the curtains drawn and because I don't have a Hall & Oates album, I settle for Steely Dan on the stereo. Memory lane, here I come!

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
It's interesting that pipes are considered luxury products. Although in all honesty I can't afford to buy a new, high quality pipe because of the price, so I guess maybe that does make them luxury items.
Maybe pipe companies need to reconsider their marketing. Even though a new pipe can be a hell of an up front cost, ultimately pipes are more economical than cigarettes or cigars. The tobacco is less expensive, better tasting,generally lasts longer and when you're done smoking, you still have a pipe that'll keep you company for years, instead of a handful of cigarette butts or the wee, chewed-up nubbin of cigar butt.
See, bring 'em into the fold with that logic, then wait for PAD to kick in...

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
To be frank: Elbert Gubbels & Co. (since 1870) never really ventured into the world of luxury pipes. The Big Ben range, their bread and butter, was always a no-nonsense brand. Decent pipes, good smokers but no frills, starting at maybe $30, with the high end models at $80-90 at most. PAD may have caught up with them, but it took close to 150 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.