PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
This was my 3rd attempt at a Lovat for jkrug and I ended up nicking the bowl with my sanding disc. So I chased it down smooth and it turned into a Chimney. There are many technical issues with it as once it turned into a chimney I knew it would be a shop pipe. It smokes well but there are obvious issues. Thought I'd share a couple pics anyway.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
It is a beautiful pipe. I think anybody would be glad to have one like that what does it mean "shop" pipe? Same as "seconds"?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
What issues are you anticipating? Looks like it would make a fine pipe for fans of the fold'n'stuff method. I think it looks pretty good; it's just wonky enough to be interesting without looking clumsy. The only issue I can see from the photos is that it would be an "experienced smoker"'s pipe; the wall thickness wouldn't be good for freight training. All in all, I say good save, and good job.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Shop pipe means that it isn't of quality to leave my hands. So generally speaking it is smoked in the "shop" while making other pipes.
The walls are thin! I am putting many bowls through it to see how hardy my wood actually is. I have never burnt out a pipe, and if I had any prime candidates, this would be the one! Thanks for the kind words!

K

klause

Adam, I had to go away and ponder this one - I love what you've done with a classic shape - you made it your own, which is no easy feat.
I can only echo what everyone else has said.
It's a cracker - keep the pics coming - it's great to see what you're doing and how you're progressing, and, man, are you progressing - loving ALL your pipes, and loving the way you are taking risks, putting your own interpretation on the classics, and breaking out from the norm.
Bravo, Mate!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the interesting bulge where the shank meets the stem is something you might use again with even more subtlety, and running the test on this thickness of the wall of the bowl might be instructive. This could be one of those pipes that looks problematic, but isn't. As a matter of marketing, I don't think I'd buy this pipe, but if someone gave it to me, I'd probably be pretty fascinated by it. I can't suss out what that means, except the pipe has a lot of energy in its design.

Status
Not open for further replies.