PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
This was the original briar I was preparing for my St. Patrick's Day pipe
Lrtolt6.jpg

Unfortunately I missed in drilling both holes: while drilling the chamber the vise moved and I got a wider out of place hole. When I drilled the shank I completely get wrong direction and pierced out of the shank!
jesOpeX.jpg

A professional pipemaker surely would have thrown away this piece of wood. Since I am just an amateur, after some time I pcked it up again and tried and make something for smoking.

I divided the bowl from the shank and drilled the undamaged part of this one. I also employed another "broken dream": an acrylic stem I damaged in drilling and I had to restore on the mouth side.

Since the chamber hole position was wrecked, I opted for a bowl free shape. Then I prepared a brass connection between the bowl and the shank and sticked them together. The result is not charming, but I'm showing it just the same as a proof of this experience
sZl3uAU.jpg
JMwb24C.jpg
UASeD6M.jpg

oYGRmQC.jpg
VHjiHud.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Looks to me as if your perseverance paid dividends. I applaud your efforts and courage to share what wasn't your desired outcome as a learning experience for all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I admire your diligence. The end result is fanciful and not ugly, just a bit eccentric. The bowl shape is floral to me, and the briar and stem are nicely paired. If I saw that one on a pipe shop wall, I'd at least take it down and look it over, for its originality.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's a flared Dublin freehand, or maybe a flared Zulu freehand. Good creativity and I'll bet you learned tons.

Status
Not open for further replies.