Made a New Pipe (Need Information From More Skilled Pipemakers)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
The pipe:
9Vzr1sr.jpg
9kcJjJY.jpg
psLqaV6.jpg
Q8AUQ5n.jpg
PSXKC8A.jpg
NT3lXV2.jpg
5FASInU.jpg

I wanted to enhance the briar grain that displayed nice birdseye and flame sides so I choosed this particular shape with two flat plates for the birdseyes and a cylindrical shape for the flame. I made this peculiar style with two plates that are not on the same axis cause the block's form didn't allow to do a round shape on the same axis.

The stem is acrylic with a transparent insertion I cut from an old acrylic rod I had.
The question:
Different structure of the wood in briar's birdseye and flame zones may affect the result when soaking and staining. In this pipe, maybe for the briar's quality, or for the sharp cut of the plans, the problem showed itself in a noticeable way. When sanding the top and bottom sides, after ebonizing, the result of birdseye's look on the two sides was completely different: the top side immediately disclosed a nice contrast, while the bottom's contrast almost disappeared. Even the flame side was not as good as the top. So I ebonized again these parts: the flame zone became ok, but the bottom didn't change too much.

When staining I got different colours: The top a more yellow hue, the body an orange hue (in compliance with the choosen stain), the bottom a darker pink shade (due to the original colour of this briar's zone).

I think I could adjust the stain, changing graduation when preparing the paint, but for the difference in soaking?

Some among the skilled pipemakers who follow these threads can suggest me how to reach,if it is really possible, the same degree of contrast in all the briar's portions?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Very creative shape! 3 'names' come to mind:

1. Tankard, or Drunken Tankark

2. Spool

3. Commode

I'll be looking for the responses re: staining and finishing tips.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Thank you guys.
Newbbroom: Drunken Tankark is a funny, very amusing name!

Commode: well, it's clear!

Spool: maybe spoon/fool?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
There can be varitions over a couple inches in how stain is absorbed, but in this case I would say the most likely cuplprit is sanding. I think the top has more contrast because it actually isn't quite as evenly (or maybe as finely) sanded as the bottom. It's the bottom of a sitting pipe so I wouldn't actually do anything with it myself, but as an experiment, if you re-sand the bottom at about 320 and stain again, and then sand back to 400, you'll probably see more of the black splotchiness you are looking for.
But particularly if the top of the pipe was from right near the plateau crust, it may just be more absorbent, more open to stain. How the briar dries, it's often more receptive in the first 1/2" or so, because (I think because) the skin is better at releasing moisture than the rest of the block, it dries faster there and seems to open the grain a little as it's curing.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I think that variance in stain is expected on pipes that have variable grain particularly with lighter stains, as is the case here. Perhaps it's hard to see in these photos.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Sasquatch: I don't think that sanding again I'll get some improvement. Maybe I should start to stain the bottom after the sanding with 120 brit.

I agree with your statements about briar's qualities. In fact the top of this pipe is from right near the platau crust and more absorbent for that reason.
Bigpond: actually the pictures don't illustrate the real differences of the stain. Perhaps a bettr camera or photographer could show it.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I have only experienced this with 3 causes that weren't related to the briar itself not staining evenly.
1. Sanding. Especially if you hit it with black, sand, and then hit your brown topcoat at the very end. (Listen to sasquatch.)

2. Staining itself, if you are uneven in the amount you are staining.

3. Buffing. Getting a bit too firm when buffing with red tripoli can cause this as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Commode occurred to me, but won't sell the shape. Spool may have already been taken by an MM cob if I remember correctly, though there's no reason it can't be applied to a briar. Pepper Mill is kind of catchy, if it is close enough to this shape. A good shape name would sell it.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Very nicely done. I think Tankard is a good name.

MSO is correct; MM has a spool cob but I think Tankard is more eclectic and has a better ring to it.

If I was looking to buy I would be more attracted to a 'Tankard' rather than a spool but that's just my two cents worth.

+1 on what Sasquatch said.

Status
Not open for further replies.