PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I just bought a tin of the Navy Flake yesterday. Fantastic stuff. I noticed that the ingredients of the mixture flake are basically identical but at half the cost. Are the two comparable?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I don't claim to be any kind of a Burley expert but to my taste, they are in the same ballpark. I actually have a tin of Mixture Flake open at present. Simple, uncomplicated, unobtrusive. A good smoke when you aren't looking for complexity. It has been some time since I've smoked any of the Navy Flake but to my memory, it has the same qualities. My 2 cents.
Mike S.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Mixture Flake is slightly on the aromatic side, but it's good! Navy Flake is more of a standard Va/Bur.

I keep both of them in my rotation/cellar. I like to keep some slightly aromatic flakes around for a good change of pace now and then. I have Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake and Mixture Flake, as well as Peterson University Flake and Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake all on hand.

Out of those, I have to say that the PS Lux. Twist Flake is my favorite!

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Mixture Flake has more Virginia, Navy Flake is a little more heavy on the Burleys. The flavoring is similar, with Navy Flake in the lighter side of it. Both are very good Flakes and show the Macbaren signature note.

Status
Not open for further replies.