Mac BAren Virginia No. 1 first impressions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh, I think that when some folks complain about Virginias giving then bite, that they are referring to the acidity tingle it gives. That's what I love about a good VA. But, I've also seen some guys choo choo up a freight train of smoke when they "smoke" (if that's what they want to call it). I could see a huffer puffer getting biten by it, but I don't know of any blends that wouldn't bite if pushed hard enough.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I love the taste but VA #1 isn't sadly compatible with my my body chemistry at all. I get almost immediate discomfort in my mouth when smoking it, which isn't the same tongue bite that I still might get when smoking bright VAs too fast and hot. I have re-visited VA #1 once in a while, but after fifteen years of pipe smoking I still can't handle it. I guess I need more training.
I suspect, and this is purely my own guesswork, it's the added sweeteners (sugars and sorbitol) in most Mac Baren's tobaccos that cause this adverse reaction to me -- and apparently to some other pipe smokers, as well. Interestingly, their HH blends that I have tried have none of this effect, and I can enjoy them without any problems whatsoever. And I do, a couple of them are my favourites.
Almost every time when the "Mac Bitey" subject comes up for discussion, there comes the comments similar to this:

I honestly think that this conception that Mac Baren tobaccos ‘bite’ is nothing more than psychosomatic from people having read reviews that it is has a reputation for being so, and therefore encounter something that simply does not exist any more so than any other tobacco that might ‘possibly’ bite.
Ah, yes, yes, just because Mac Bees' baccies don't sting you, it naturally follows that those who do get bitten are imagining the problem just because they read it somewhere.
I was a bit offended by that comment at first, but then decided it "simply does not exist".

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I first tried my pouch of this from the IPSD grab bag this year and did not care for it at all. Last week I decided to give it another go and I love it now. Love the broken flakes and delicious/sweet VA taste.

Jarit, my bad, I am aware that some people's body chemistry is different. Myself, I meant no offense. It took me a long time to adjust to smoking Latakia. I guess that this is why we have so many different blends. I think that we were just waxing words. It's just hard to understand these differences sometimes.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Hey, no actual offense taken, cosmic!
And it wasn't your comment anyway. I just had a nice bowl of Mac Baren Vintage Syrian and I'm calm and composed once again.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I was inspired by this thread...
So last night I cracked open a 7 year old tin of Virginia No. 1 from my "cellar". Its been a couple of years since I last smoked any of this...but enjoyed it in the past and laid 5 100g tins aside. Honestly...i don't know why I haven't been smoking this regularly. Great hot weather / summer smoke with a ton of gorgeous sweet Virginia flavor. Definitely sweet Virginia as opposed to tang. The slight honey is undetectable and is no more heavily applied then any other quality VA or VA flake that is highly touted on these forums. Mild but very flavorful smoke. The aging softened it a bit but I recall enjoying it without the age as well.
Can it bite? Yes it can. But once I get 1/3 of the way through the bowl it settles down and this isn't at all a problem with careful sipping.
I would highly recommend this for the summer months. I was shocked by how much I have enjoyed the 3 bowls I've had since last night when I popped the tin...some of the more enjoyable smokes that I've had in a while. Perfect moisture and the broken / rubbed flake is beautiful. I cubed some of the larger chunks and gravity filled, topped with some finely rubbed.
Very affordable as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.