PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethology

Lurker
Jan 5, 2020
Found this peculiar looking stringy stuff that I could uncoil (really reminded me of string, or fabric) amidst a few HH Mac baren virginia flakes. To me im almost having trouble figuring if its mold or if its straight up string- but am leaning towards mold. What do you all say?

117445241_768607970575776_7105801424731850426_n.jpg

Sethology

Lurker
Jan 5, 2020
That’s not mold, looks like maybe string from the bale of tobacco.
117202187_649441185660579_4153486004008902362_n.jpg

heres a picture with a little on one of the flakes. Im hoping youre right, because this is from a whole pound of tobacco all from the same box and that would be majorly disappointing.

Sethology

Lurker
Jan 5, 2020
Probably a bit of string or twine, I don't think mold would be strong enough to uncoil or pull on.
I guess all I can really do is jar all of the flakes up and watch them. If they flower, its mold, if they dont, its not? Still makes me mildly paranoid. Will tread softly around these flakes. A shame and always a little nugget of doubt is planted in my heart when these things happen. I imagine all of my unopened tins having similar surprises. The joys of cellaring.

Reactions: anotherbob

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I guess all I can really do is jar all of the flakes up and watch them. If they flower, its mold, if they dont, its not? Still makes me mildly paranoid. Will tread softly around these flakes. A shame and always a little nugget of doubt is planted in my heart when these things happen. I imagine all of my unopened tins having similar surprises. The joys of cellaring.
One time misterlowercase (a ex-member here) posted a picture of a surprise he found in some Velvan Plug... it’s was a little feather pressed right in the middle of the plug. :LOL: I’m not sure what he ended up doing with it but I would have smoked it all up, especially it being Velvan Plug and all.
Anyway, the point I’m getting at is that this stuff happens from time to time. It sure beats finding a severed finger in Wendy’s chili cup!

• Haha
Reactions: J.Henry845

Sethology

Lurker
Jan 5, 2020

One time misterlowercase (a ex-member here) posted a picture of a surprise he found in some Velvan Plug... it’s was a little feather pressed right in the middle of the plug. :LOL: I’m not sure what he ended up doing with it but I would have smoked it all up, especially it being Velvan Plug and all.
Anyway, the point I’m getting at is that this stuff happens from time to time. It sure beats finding a severed finger in Wendy’s chili cup!
Oh well if its actually string that I am indifferent, removing the offending string would be enough. But if its mold ill be perturbed lol. But yes, thankfully it wasn't the poor tobacco harvesters finger in the flake instead

Reactions: hawky454

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The tiny white spot on the flake needs further investigation. Is it soft and fuzzy? It it's not, it is probably a bit of string or some such.

In any event, jarring the pound in a bunch of separate jars is a good idea. If there is mold in one part, it may not have spread to the rest if you jar it right away.

Sethology

Lurker
Jan 5, 2020
To me its either string that has been intertwined with the tobacco, or is mold that has somehow eaten away at the tobacco enough to become very much entangled with it. So much so that it resembles string. Very confusing, but i guess well see. Might try to get some better pictures

Sethology

Lurker
Jan 5, 2020
Never seen mold on a bread or cheese? You really don't know what mold should look like? Just curious. I thought everyone would have at least seen mold on two weeks old slice of pizza from single days.
Of course, however if you simply look up "white mold" you can see substances that are...well stringy. How am I to know exactly? Theres several species of mold that could all look stringy.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Found this peculiar looking stringy stuff that I could uncoil (really reminded me of string, or fabric) amidst a few HH Mac baren virginia flakes. To me im almost having trouble figuring if its mold or if its straight up string- but am leaning towards mold. What do you all say?
Was this a recent purchase? If so, I would contact the retailer and inquire about it. They may be able to help set your mind at ease or depending on the retailer they may just replace it for you. Best wishes!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.