PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
It's been unseasonably warm lately, so I have been clinging to my VAs a little longer than usual this year. I have been sampling various aged LBFs over the past few weeks. I was put off by this blend back when I first started smoking pipe tobacco. The top note didn't do anything for me. As a result, I pushed it to the back of the cabinet.

I gave it a second chance two years later and found a completely different blend. The top note had dissipated to the point of just being another subtle nuisance in the flavor profile. At this point, I understand the blender must add the top note to these coins to be remotely smokable fresh, as the tobaccos are very green. Here are some inflection points I have come up with while smoking this blend over the years.

After about a year, the top note is still very present. The tobaccos are starting to develop the plumy soft sweetness. The top note falls off 30% of the way through the bowl, and it continues to stove and get sweeter.
3.0 out of 4 stars

The subsequent aging inflection for me was around two years. It's similar to one year. However, it's just changing in the same direction. Less top note, more sweetness from the VA/Per. The flavor starts to deepen.
3.3 out of 4 stars

The final and last inflection point was at four years. The top note has diminished, but it is not gone. It has moved to the background and has dramatically softened. The flavor profile moves to more of a reduction of plums than the delicate softness it once was. There is more depth, and the flavors are darker, and the body seems fuller. I would smoke this all day, every day, and not complain about missing the latest not-so-small batch release.
3.5 out of 4 stars

If you have smoked some aged LBF, what were your thoughts?

Last edited:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's good to know this blend is apparently vastly improved with age...I've had some cellared for a couple of years now. I hated it fresh.......will give those jars a min of 4 yrs before trying again.

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
Somethings do get better with age. Humans, unfortunately, do not.
Most change happens in the first year, after that it slows down. I find after 3-5 years it really tastes much better than when fresh. I find the same to be true with PS LNF.
I never really cared much for LNF, but LTF was ok, since it was something completely different.

Reactions: Tate

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I'm with you there. LBF is an almost daily smoke for me. I have a flip top jar behind me on my filing cabinet, that has fresh LBF in it and a couple mason jars at home that I refill with aged. The fresh is still good, but nothing compared to some with age. About five years ago I started seriously cellaring blends, a 1.5lb box of LBF fits really nicely in a 1 gallon mylar bag. Now, when I open an aged bag to replenish my stock, I try and put two back. Same goes for Rougxgaroux, OGS, Peterson (Dunhill) Flake, Davidoff Rounds, etc. Any of the virginia blends I prefer with some cellared time on them.