PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I am looking at Savinelli pipes and which to suggest to SWMBO re.Christmas pesent.I am looking at the Roma and the Tortuga.The Roma has a Lucite stem and I have no experience of this type of stem.Some opinions would be most helpfull

Tom

Jul 12, 2011
Lucite doesn't oxidize like vulcanite, but some pipers say they like

the feel/bite of vulcanite vs harder lucite

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Maintenance is pretty much the same as with Vulcanite, only less required as they don't oxidize.

Most of my Savs have flat and wide bits. I prefer this with Lucite because it is a bit harder than Vulcanite, very noticeable if your a clencher.
The Roma line are all black stems from what I can tell but the Tortuga, a line that has certainly caught my eye by the way, I'm not sure if they are translucent or not.
Main consideration for me regarding the translucent stems is they absolutely must have a pipe cleaner run through immediately after a smoke to prevent any stain building up in the airway.
Hope that helps morlader

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Lucite just feels a little harder than vulcanite when between the teeth, I have had one shatter when i dropped it but they look great on some pipes.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I have only one lucite stem, but I wouldn't call it bad.
My most preferred system is a horn bit and the stem itself being bamboo -- but that's really hard to find.

Next comes vulcanite which, to me, is just easier to clench, being softer.

Then Lucite which is just a bit hard for my tastes

Then clay, which is hard on the teeth and always has this little worry that it's going to shatter on me

Then MM plastic

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I have a Sav Roma with a black lucite stem. I also prefer vulcanite because it just feels more substantial. Lucite is a harder material and if you clench it may be somewhat uncomfortable. Of course all of my pipes have rubber bit cushions so there really is no "comfort" problem either way. My pipe is a Roma 620. My only complaint is that the bowl is smaller than I usually like to smoke. On the whole, it's a fine pipe for the price. I got mine from Smokingpipes and it cost only $45.00

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I generally prefer a Lucite stem, but do have some with Vulcanite as well. As long as you keep Vulcanite polished, it doesn't have a bad taste.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I only have one pipe with a Lucite stem. It has a kind of marbled appearance and is more attractive than my Vulcanite stems. I don't chew on it so I can't comment on how hard it is. The softie bits cost practically nothing for those that do.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
Thanks for the comments on Lucite,I am looking at a Savinelli Roma Lucite 602 or a Savinelli Tortuga Sandblast 602.My preference is leaning to the Tortuga so I may throw out hints about that one. :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Yoru, you mentioned a preference for a horn bit. Have you ever had a problem with them splintering? How is their "tooth feel" compared to the others?
I've seen a few estates with horn bits but never owned any myself. I would love to hear more about them.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Ace, a horn stem is a stem made literally from an animal horn or antler. Not very common (that I know of) and I had heard about some inherent issues with the material, but have no firsthand experience.
Yoru?

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Ok thanks, now I know what You are talking about. I have seen them but never had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.