PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
got it earlier smoked a bowl, heres a rundown:

presentation: standard C&D flakes packed in their usual fashion, date at the bottom was stamped 012722. the flakes are reddish dark brown with light splotches throughout. they are super soft and break apart easily which makes it annoying fold and stuff unlike peterson or macbaren flakes. they are quite moist, a firm pinch will keep a clump stuck for a bit after rubbing out.

the aroma after pulling the tab back was a sharp and tangy hay and barnyard scent that lasted for a few minutes then cleared out. just smells like a standard straight VA in the tin after airing out, good smell.

they seem like decent quality virginias. the taste for me was pretty consistent for 3/4's of the bowl and down at the end things started to get ashy tasting. for the most part it was a mildly sweet and creamy with a good amount of like a soft baked bread coming through. not super smooth but i was able to retro-hale often without lighting up my sinuses. aftertaste was mildly sweet and grassy, short lived and fades quickly. had a good amount of flavor, i was kind of surprised at this. very smokable right now. i was not a fan of the room note but im not a fan of how VA's smell in the room anyway so.

nothing mind bending here but for the $9 and change i payed for the tin seems like a nice smoke for the price, especially if you're a VA smoker.

Last edited:
got it earlier smoked a bowl, heres a rundown:

presentation: standard C&D flakes packed in their usual fashion, date at the bottom was stamped 012722. the flakes are reddish dark brown with light splotches throughout. they are super soft and break apart easily which makes it annoying fold and stuff unlike peterson or macbaren flakes. they are quite moist, a firm pinch will keep a clump stuck for a bit after rubbing out.

the aroma after pulling the tab back was a sharp and tangy hay and barnyard scent that lasted for a few minutes then cleared out. just smells like a standard straight VA in the tin after airing out, good smell.

they seem like decent quality virginias. the taste for me was pretty consistent for 3/4's of the bowl and down at the end things started to get ashy tasting. for the most part it was a mildly sweet and creamy with a good amount of like a soft baked bread coming through. not super smooth but i was able to retro-hale often without lighting up my sinuses. aftertaste was mildly sweet and grassy, short lived and fades quickly. had a good amount of flavor, i was kind of surprised at this. very smokable right now. i was not a fan of the room note but im not a fan of how VA's smell in the room anyway so.

nothing mind bending here but for the $9 and change i payed for the tin seems like a nice smoke for the price, especially if you're a VA smoker.
+1, great review. I have found that the Virginias used by C&D tend to have that "last of the bowl" harshness like that. But, if aged for a while, it tends to go away. I usually don't crack a C&D Virginia till at least a year in the cellar. My guess is that they use very fresh Virginias and tin them as soon as they are blended.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
+1, great review. I have found that the Virginias used by C&D tend to have that "last of the bowl" harshness like that. But, if aged for a while, it tends to go away. I usually don't crack a C&D Virginia till at least a year in the cellar. My guess is that they use very fresh Virginias and tin them as soon as they are blended.
Especially for the Low Country line. They aren’t using the same leaf they do for inconvenient (to a point) midnight drops ?

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Great review. Hoping it’s still around when the IPSD sales hit. I’m also curious about the rest of the Low Country line as they all look like straightforward and natural tobacco blends. How long have they been out of stock?

Reactions: Ebarber

NoogaPipe

Lurker
Jan 11, 2022
Enjoying my first bowl of Edisto in a Baki meer. Much earthier than I expected, which is a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: Ebarber