PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I always thought his simple short story, only a page long, an unfinished work if I remember right, was my favorite. I think it was called something like: The Thing By The Railroad Tracks, or something like that.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This book on Lovecraft is also quite good:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2005/jun/04/featuresreviews.guardianreview6

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I've been working my way through a book of his complete collected works for a while now...off and on between other books. I've greatly enjoyed all of the stories thus far...only have a few left.
A few years ago it was announced that Guillermo del Toro was going to direct a film version of At the Mountains of Madness, but apparently the project fell through for some reason.
In case anyone hasn't seen it, this is pretty good:
The Call of Cthulhu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHuY2wXTd0o

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
^^ That is an awesome video!
In college we used to play the Call of Cthulhu role playing game. We pretty much had to reroll characters every week. We were all either dead or insane by the end of each session. heh heh.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Very much so. My signature used to say:
I like coffee exceedingly.

-H. P. Lovecraft
I always liked that signature of yours chasingembers. Having enjoyed Lovecraft's work myself and my over-the-top love of coffee.

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
The Call of Cthulhu - read by Wayne June.
https://youtu.be/ZdVZV-WLL9A?list=PL_y65cLX0fciQXh7mU-i09F1QtgvE9HaM
Your welcome. :puffy:

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
One more.
The Rats in the Walls - The Black Mass Radio Program.

Featuring the voice talents of Erik Bauersfeld - Admiral Akbar from Star Wars.

This story may turn your stomach like a Royal Yacht OD - one of my favorites!
http://www.kpfahistory.info/bm/bm_rats.mp3

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
I have been a big fan of Lovecraft's work for going on 25 years now. He was/is a giant in horror.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Stephen King's "Jerusalem's Lot" is quite Lovecraftian.
One of my favorites, "The Haunter Of The Dark"
“Lights still out—must be five minutes now. Everything depends on lightning. Yaddith grant it will keep up! . . . Some influence seems beating through it. . . . Rain and thunder and wind deafen. . . . The thing is taking hold of my mind. . . .

“Trouble with memory. I see things I never knew before. Other worlds and other galaxies . . . Dark . . . The lightning seems dark and the darkness seems light. . . .

“It cannot be the real hill and church that I see in the pitch-darkness. Must be retinal impression left by flashes. Heaven grant the Italians are out with their candles if the lightning stops!

“What am I afraid of? Is it not an avatar of Nyarlathotep, who in antique and shadowy Khem even took the form of man? I remember Yuggoth, and more distant Shaggai, and the ultimate void of the black planets. . . .

“The long, winging flight through the void . . . cannot cross the universe of light . . . re-created by the thoughts caught in the Shining Trapezohedron . . . send it through the horrible abysses of radiance. . . .

“My name is Blake—Robert Harrison Blake of 620 East Knapp Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. . . . I am on this planet. . . .

“Azathoth have mercy!—the lightning no longer flashes—horrible—I can see everything with a monstrous sense that is not sight—light is dark and dark is light . . . those people on the hill . . . guard . . . candles and charms . . . their priests. . . .

“Sense of distance gone—far is near and near is far. No light—no glass—see that steeple—that tower—window—can hear—Roderick Usher—am mad or going mad—the thing is stirring and fumbling in the tower—I am it and it is I—I want to get out . . . must get out and unify the forces. . . . It knows where I am. . . .

“I am Robert Blake, but I see the tower in the dark. There is a monstrous odour . . . senses transfigured . . . boarding at that tower window cracking and giving way. . . . Iä . . . ngai . . . ygg. . . .

“I see it—coming here—hell-wind—titan blur—black wings—Yog-Sothoth save me—the three-lobed burning eye. . . .”

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Discovered him when I was 11. He's shaped my taste in movies, literature, comics and single handedly gave a theme to my paintings.

He is No2 in my list of favourite writers since I discovered Steven Erikson -13 years ago- but he remains my very first literary obsession.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
old time radio has the outsider, it is really good, the program that made the episode is the black mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.