PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
hello gents
Bought this pipe recently needs a good clean as stem is not blocked but partially clogged up.
But given this was made pre 1894 would you smoke it or just keep in your collection?

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Any advice for cleaning? Obviously as it's clay so I have to be a bit careful not sure I'm happy to put it in the oven as seems to have some kind of glaze, I can take the mouth piece off as it seems like a later addition what do you think?

Jan 8, 2013
Hmm, I have never owned a clay pipe, so I don't want to give you bad advice. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in here soon.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Yeah it's clay his factory only made clay I believe, It has probably at some point been broken thus the improvised mouth piece. It is obviously not a white clay although its at least 120 years old so could be very stained.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
My first impression is the stem is a replacement and the band is a repair. If you are saying the stem won't come out, that would reinforce the idea that its some kind of repair.

However, L. Fiolet pipes did often have metal caps on the shank and ebonite stems as well, so I'm basing that on just a hunch. The stem doesn't look right to me, and the metal looks a bit awkward like it was added later.

If it was me, I wouldn't attempt to remove the stem if it doesn't want to come out easily. Scrape out any cake from the bowl, give the inside a good thorough cleaning with alcohol and fire her up after its rested a few days. Honestly theres not a huge intrinsic value to these pipes so I don't think you can hurt much.

Neat pipe in my opinion.

K

klause

Clean it, smoke it, relax and think about all the events in history that pipe has passed through.
Someone loved it enough to repair it, so respect it and smoke it.......reckon you'll love it, to.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would not smoke the pipe -- especially since that would necessitate a good cleaning.

This pipe's worth lies in its historical interest, not in the joy of smoking it.

At this point in time it is no longer an implement, but an artifact. Cherish it.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Some mixed views there, Yes I'm sure its a repair but seems ok. I know the pipe isn't valuable but being so old I still don't want to damage it as it's made it this far I will give it a good clean for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.