PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have 24 Peterson pipes (doesn't count the one I just purchased :mrgreen: ) roughly half of them are p-lips and I don't mind them at all. Having said that....every shape and style of Peterson that I own has the option of P-lip or fishtail. Pick your poison.
Long live the p-lip.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
OK, pot stirred. Go
I was so hoping we could put the p-lip argument to bed way back in chapter 583 of the debate, but it looks like we'll have to go another couple hundred rounds... :rofl:
BTW, I wish I could have my non Petersons somehow converted to p-lips...gauntlet picked up...go :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Argument? Some of us will argue over any detail! I have a few p-lips and like them, though not enough to seek them out over fishtails.
Good article, with spots of bad phrasing, and some typos concerning fraising.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
BTW, I wish I could have my non Petersons somehow converted to p-lips...gauntlet picked up...go :)
Interesting note, Mark talked to me about how the p-lip quality has changed if you look at a recent p-lip vs one from 30-40 years ago the plip has gotten rounder and harder to clench. WHere back years ago you could easily clench them. The supplier of the stems has gotten, lazy or cut corners. It's something that can be fixed because the p-lip and a system pipe are so perfect together, using a fishtail on a system is an abomination!
VsZfexO.png

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Not a fan of the P-lip? Nearly every pipe Peterson makes is available with a fishtail, so get one of those. Don't like The System? Ditto.
For the record, I am well established as a devotee of Petersons. In part it has to do with cultural affinity. In part it has to do with a passion for traditional shapes executed beautifully, and with telling detail. More than half the pipes in my rack are Petes, and I would say 75% of my smoking is done in Petes.
That said, I don't much like The System, and have only a few of those, as they were pipes I found or wanted for other reasons.
I think the Laudisi acquisition of the pipe-making arm of the company is simply tremendous news. To see this 150-year-old national treausre in the hands of people who love, respect and understand it is a relief, and brings much excitement.
{And without wishing to stir the pot, I'll say I'm bedamned if I can understand the Pete-hate that often rears its head here. Don't like 'em? Well then don't buy 'em. Don't like the p-lip? Don't buy one. But what in heaven's name is it in some censorious people that makes them wish to see ALL people limited by their particular taste. What arrogance or sanctimony must they hold to think their personal opinion is imbued with some universal authority? What twisted, rocky, path of tyrannical thinking leads from "I don't like p-lips/rap music/rocking chairs/whatever-the-hell" to "I think p-lips/rap music/rocking chairs/whatever-the-hell should be gotten rid of."}

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I LOVE Peterson pipes. That's pretty much all I smoke. I've stated that here on the forum multiple times.
The few little things I don't like about them, I openly post my opinions. I sure do appreciate the tips on avoiding buyng pee-lipped Peterson pipes. The thought never crossed my mind. So enlightening. ;)
Remember, it's just an opinion, and only hurts a person if they let it. Be strong, soldiers of the pipes. Breathe and scroll on. :)

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
tslex, my screen name was chosen due to both cultural affiliation and the fact the Peterson is my favorite pipe maker.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
James, thanks for taking the time to put the article together.
To the jerks that criticize his editorial skills and proofreading; chill out.
Yeah wow, 120 years of the p-lip. Yeah, prehistoric Professor Pepperwinkle basement physics to shoot smoke upwards away from the tongue. And a design to look fugly. Tradition is a strange thing sometimes. Even the name is odd, Pee-lip.
You know how every artisan pipe site makes mention of superior engineering to ensure the highest level of smoking perfection, right? Well, it turns out drilling a straight line and smoothing things out doesn’t really involve much engineering. After all today’s artisan pipescan trace a pretty straight line back a good. three hundred years or so.
By contrast, the system approaches the Venturi effect and accommodates for byproducts of combustion using...drumroll....engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.