PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasabbia

Lurker
May 16, 2015
I have a Castello in which the stem is a little loose. Anything to be done? Thanks for any advice.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Might have to ask some of the other forum members, quite easy to fix a valconight or rubber one by heating and putting something into the stem and slightly pushing. Not sure with acrylic.

Heard someone rubbed beeswax on theirs and it tightened up, sure one of the other members will know.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I was really surprised at how well beeswax worked. Thinking it would not work well I rubbed it all over a tenon well. The stem is too tight now. Just rub a piece of beeswax around it a bit and smoke it for a while. You might be surprised.
I wonder the mechanism of action. Prolly swells the wood a bit and prevents drying out again.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have used beeswax with success, but recently saw a note that a drop of superglue can be applied to the tenon and spread thinly. If that's too thick, then it can be lightly sanded down until a proper fit is achieved. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to soon with one of my future restorations.

Status
Not open for further replies.